Scoliosis and Disc Pain on a 3 yrs old Tempurpedic Pillowtop Mattress.

Kathy writes: 

Hi TME,

I presently have a Tempurpedic Mattress with a pillow top, which I purchased less than 3 yrs ago. I bought it because I have scoliosis and a herniated disc, and because the salesman gave me hope that this mattress would help. 

However, I find myself waking up very stiff and still and in considerable pain. 


I called the store where I bought it and told them. They sent someone to inspect it, who measured it and stated that it wasn’t defective. They were willing to give me a partial credit towards another one.

If I do that, I’ll be out a lot of money and back to square one with the same problem before it became a noticeable problem.


What went wrong in all of this?

What can I do to fix it?

Or, do I need a different mattress?

If so, what kind?

I’m 65 years old, 5’9” tall and weigh 130 lbs.

Thanks Kathy


Hi Kathy,

What went wrong:

You placed your trust in a brand and a salesperson who’s selling a product that’s totally wrong for your condition…a salesperson who, either, didn’t know or didn’t care, or both…who was only doing his job, selling you a mattress, which included telling you whatever you needed to hear to make that happen.


Can you fix it?…Maybe.

Do you need a different mattress?…maybe, maybe not.


Your tall, slender build mitigates in your favor.

That’s the ‘maybe’ part.


While every body needs firm support and a comfortable sleeping surface…that sleeping surface shouldn’t allow you to sink into it, which is a common problem with memory foam.


And while a young, healthy, undamaged body can tolerate that, to some degree…disc problems, which usually come with age…and scoliosis, which is something that you’ve likely dealt with since birth, do not tolerate the lack of support and the sinking in that you get with a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress.


The Fix:

Usually, your conditions require the pushback support that a firm innerspring mattress provides.


Starting from scratch, I would recommend such a mattress and a soft latex topper for the surface comfort you need that will not allow your body to sink.


However, the memory foam on top of your mattress is supported by high density polyurethane foam, which is very firm.

And while this firm poly foam doesn’t provide the “pushback” support of an innerspring mattress, it is quite firm and you are quite light for your height…which may just work for you for several more years…delaying the need to replace that mattress.


So, my recommendation is to buy the latex topper now, and add it to your flipped over mattress.

If it turns out that you still need a new mattress, you’ll come to know that soon enough and be able to use that same topper with any mattress you choose.

A pure latex topper will last for very many years, given your size.

If, on the other hand, you’re sleeping and waking without pain, you’re good to go for the foreseeable future.


The Latex Topper:

Latex for Less has the lowest prices on the highest quality pure, organic and hypoallergenic latex mattress toppers.

2” Soft is comfortable. 3” Soft is more so.

Given how firm the flip side of your mattress is, I recommend going with the 3” and the organic cotton cover to go with it.


Here’s the link you’ll need:


Latex for Less Pure Organic Latex Mattress Topper

https://tidd.ly/3SbwUkU



Once you’ve slept on this for a few nights, you’ll know if a different mattress is necessary. If so, we can then discuss your options.

But, I feel confident that there’s a high likelihood that this will work for you.



Thanks, TME 


Questions? 


TME Website: https://themattressexpert.com/


Delivery is Always Free 
Online Ordering is Easy & Secure.
Visa, M/C, Discover, Amex
Financing Available 

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram 

Comments