Hip Pain and Numbness from a Novaform Mattress.

Laurie writes: 

Hi Pete,

I am 66 years old, having a lot of hip and upper leg pain from my mattress. 
I’m 5’3’ and about 110 lbs so weight is not part of my issue with pain while sleeping.  It’s a Novaform mattress.
I think it’s medium soft. It definitely is not firm.  It feels very comfortable to lay in, but I wake up about 4 hours later in a lot of pain and numbness in my hip that goes away as I get up and moving. The sleep disturbance has gotten worse over time. It isn’t possible to sleep through the discomfort. I have to get up, stretch, move around some, then go back to bed. Not fun. We’ve had it a little over 2 years. I have a platform bed so we don’t use a mattress underneath it. 

Is there anything I can do to make it more comfortable? I tried a foam topper but that didn't work. I’ve never had this issue before. If not, is there another mattress you can recommend? 
Warmly, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Your problem stems from the upholstery material used in your mattress.

Memory foam is a horrible product that softens as it warms from your body’s heat.

As it warms, it allows you to sink. You then hit the firmer support layers under it.

If you added a memory foam topper, you wouldn’t have gotten any relief from it.


Add a soft latex topper, which doesn’t allow you to sink.

You’ll get a nice soft surface layer that holds you up.

My wife, who is your age, also has a sensitive hip.

We added a 3” Soft Latex Topper to our mattress…problem solved.


The best value for latex toppers comes from Latex for Less.

Here is a link to that.


Thanks, Pete - TME

Delivery is Always Free 
Online Ordering is Easy & Secure.
Visa, M/C, Discover, Amex
Or Choose 4 Interest Free Bi-Monthly Payments with afterpay

Always:
Use a waterproof mattress protector. 
Your new mattress will last longer if kept it clean and dry.

Follow us on Facebook 

Email: pete.themattressexpert@gmail.com
Voicemail: 856-874-6894

Comments