Simmons Beautyrest and a Saatva mattresses gave me severe back pain.

Bob writes: 

Hi Pete,

I recently purchased a couple of different mattresses.
One was a Simmons Beautyrest extra firm, and a Saatva innerspring firm mattress.
Both mattresses gave me severe back pain.
The Simmons Beautyrest mattress was too hard on my back and gave me severe back pain after 30 days.
The Saatva mattress kind of sunk in the middle after 40-45 days of use.
I am on the heavier side, around 235 pounds with 6 ft in height.
 
I read on your blog about the latex mattresses and its benefits.  
What are some of your recommendations in this category?  
I am really looking for a mattress that can alleviate the back pain.
 
I read from your website, that latex mattress can be full latex or can be hybrid (innerspring and latex). 
How do I choose between these two categories?
For folks on the heavier side, such as me, what is your best recommendation?
Thanks for your advice!
Best, Bob
 
Hi Bob,
There is much more to choosing a mattress than simply the degree of firmness and softness.
To listen to all the advertising and sales pitches, you'd think that today's mattresses are all high quality. 
They aren't.
In fact, none of the name brands are made well enough to hold a large person for any length of time much beyond a year, or so.
The product in these mattresses that causes them to fail, is the memory foam upholstery.
Memory foam is a dream material, enhancing profits for the manufacturers and retailers, by causing mattresses to need frequent replacing...creating a nightmare for the consumer.
Memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material that softens as it warms from your body heat.
Being so, memory foam will fail under people a lot lighter in weight than you.
To make a successful long-term purchase, you must avoid mattresses with memory foam in them.
 
You're on the right track, with looking at latex. 
But, an all-foam mattress...even one made entirely of high-quality latex, may or may not be right for you.
What an all-foam mattress does not provide, is push-back support against your spine.
If you have any disc-related back problems, you'd be better off with an innerspring mattress that's upholstered with latex...for the support worn discs require.
This condition is more common, the older and heavier we are.
I have several disc problems, being both, older and on the heavy side.
You can read more about that here...which will help you decide what's best for you.

If an innerspring and latex mattress is best for you, the best made is:
Natura of Canada Greenspring.
Click on this link to view that line of mattresses. Click on each model to view specifications and prices:
https://themattressexpert.com/natura-greenspring-pocketed-coil-mattresses/

My wife and I sleep on the Ultra Plush model.
Our mattress is almost 9 years old and still in like new condition...each of us weighing more than 200 lbs.
I have a number of disc problems in my back. Yet, I sleep and wake without back pain.
These mattresses come with White Glove Delivery.
Delivery includes set-up in your bedroom and removal of all packing materials.
Delivery is Free throughout the US & Canada
Thanks, Pete 
A waterproof mattress protector will extend the life of any mattress, keeping it clean and dry.
Email: pete.themattressexpert@gmail.com
Voicemail: 856-874-6894
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Comments