Horrendous smell from a Simmons Beautyrest Unity Lux Reef Mattress, here in Canada.

Cyndi writes: 



Hi Pete,

I recently purchased a Simmons Beautyrest Unity Lux Reef mattress, here in Canada. 
The smell is horrendous and hasn't dissipated since it was delivered on December 8th. 
I've been airing it out in my bedroom with the windows open and door shut because the smell is so bad. 
I've been sleeping on my couch for the time being. Anyhow, the store will not refund my purchase. 
They only do exchanges. 
What do you think of the Kingsdown Silent Partner Dane mattress? 
That was my 2nd choice when I was testing out mattresses at the store for comfortability.
What brand of mattress should I choose that doesn't have such a disgusting odor/gas? 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Best, Cyndi

Hi Cyndi,
The smell is the toxic chemical off gassing from the memory foam upholstery.
Of you exchange it with another mattress that’s also upholstered with memory foam, you’ll be back to square one.
Most of today’s mattresses are upholstered with memory foam, so it’s not about which brand is better.
Look for a mattress with no memory foam in it.
ZedBed owns Kingsdown and Natura.
I know that the Natura Greenspring doesn’t have memory foam.
If you’re retailer can get Kingsdown, they should also be able to get Natura.
The Natura Greenspring Ultra Plush is their most comfortable.
Thanks, Pete 
You Should Know 
Using an old box spring to support any new mattress will cause premature wear and void the manufacturer’s warranty.
A waterproof mattress protector will extend the life of a mattress by keeping the upholstery materials clean and dry.
Voicemail: 856-874-6894

Comments