My Tempurpedic Mattress is Horrible - Hip, Back and Shoulder Pain.

Steve writes: 

Hi Pete,

I thought I had things figured out until I came across your site in a search for reviews.
I must have read over 100 posts with some similar to mine.
And while I think I have an idea what you would recommend, I'm still not sure.
So, I will provide my specifics and humbly ask for your recommendation.

Stats:
Me: Mid 50's, 6'1" Weight is currently 275 lbs.
But, I plan on getting to maintain 200-220 within a year.
I have had low back pain in past but nothing recent.
I do currently have a herniated disc in low neck which is healing.
I've been sleeping in recliner, as I still cannot lie down for a full night.

Spouse: Mid 50's, 5'7" ~130-140 lbs.
She has no known issues, besides some knee pain and hip pain, lying on the wrong mattress.

History: Been on a select comfort (sleep number) bed for ~ 25 years.
With my current neck problem and inability to lie flat to sleep, and a desire to get back to bedroom and out of recliner, we bought L&P adjustable bases so I could keep head elevated like recliner.
It is a split king setup so I can be elevated and her flat.

We had access to a "not for resale" Tempurpedic donation mattresses.
So, we decided to just try those temporarily. We HATE them.
I don't know what retail model they compare to but they are way too firm.
My wife had bad hip pain after 2 nights.
And even on my back, in the zero g position, I had low back pain.

I am slowly getting to be able to lie flat - probably up to a few hours at this point.
But, the Tempurpedic is horrible - hip/back/shoulder pain and lots of tossing around.

We are both primarily side sleepers.

I am looking, primarily, for a solution for when my neck is healed and I can sleep normally through night on my side in a flat position, but can still adjust to elevated back sleep for now.

After looking at a ton of mattresses, we thought we found the answer in an all latex mattress.
We do both like a softer to medium feel.

Since it's a split king, we have the ability for each of us to get a mattress to fit each of us.
However, we don't want things that will be wildly different in height, etc.

So... throwing in the curveball of current weight but within a year will be
less - and hopefully discs healing - what do you recommend for me?
Can I get by with just the latex and maybe after I lose the weight add a topper if wanted?
Or even at goal weight would you recommend a different combo?
Also, will the innerspring mattresses work ok on adjustable base?

I appreciate your recommendation and your attention to all of us that ask for your advice!
Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,
25 years on an air mattress, that provided no adequate support, is likely to be the reason why you have the problems you're dealing with today.
An air mattress is like a water bed...relying on displacement for support, which is no support at all.
When you were 25 years younger, you could tolerate anything.
Air mattresses, along with water beds, fall under the axiom, "Just because you can, doesn't mean your should".
OK, enough lecturing!

An adjustable bed base has little to no therapeutic value.
You need to keep your spine in its proper natural alignment.
What's more, an adjustable bed base in the raised position will shift most of your body weight to a single point in the mattress...the small area just under your butt. THAT is where the mattress will wear out first.

Buying different mattresses for you and your wife will likely result in the mattresses being different heights.
I have yet to meet a woman who is ok with the way that will look.

An individually pocketed coil system will contour to the shape of your body and maintain your spine's natural alignment. Under a person of your size, the components that make up such a mattress, need to be resilient enough to hold you. The last thing you need is a mattress that loses support quickly and needs frequent replacing.
Not only does a poor quality mattress cause financial pain, it also causes physical pain.
I'm guessing you've had enough of that.

The Natura of Canada Greenspring mattresses have the coil system you need for proper, long term support...with the highest coil count, and coils made of double tempered steel.
What's more, the upholstery is Natural Talalay Latex...the very same latex used in the Pure Bliss all latex mattresses.
Of the 4 model in their line, the Ultra Plush model is the most comfortable.
It's the one I'm recommending for you and the one we use at home.
That line of mattresses, shown here:


This mattress comes with white glove delivery, which includes set-up and removal of your old mattress. 
That delivery is free and there's no sales tax.


Thanks, Pete

VERY IMPORTANT:
Keeping your mattress clean and dry will increase its longevity.
We recommend our Organic Cotton Waterproof Mattress Protector. 

Website: http://themattressexpert.com/

Email: pete.themattressexpert@gmail.com

Phone: 1-856-874-6894 


Free Delivery...Factory Direct.

All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order

Serving The US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.


Comments