Back Pain on a Serta Mattress.

Sarah writes: 

Hi Pete, 

After sleeping on a Serta mattress for a week, I still have back pain. 
I called JCP and there is the same mattress stated as "Firm" available. 
My opinion, for what it is worth, is to exchange this soft mattress for the firm model.
I will have to pay $85.00 pick-up fee plus 15% of cost of product, plus, the mattress cost $648.99 versus $449.00 I paid for the one I have now....plus the sales tax again on the firm.

I've read that I can cut two pieces of plywood the size of queen for under the mattress. 
It would be a lot cheaper to get plywood than buy another mattress.
Any advice would be very appreciated. 
Thank you very much, Sarah

Good Morning Sarah,
I spent a lot of time mulling over your circumstances.
My problem is my sense of value.

I’m not a fan of throwing good money after bad.
The long and short of all this is, Serta make a poor quality mattress.
Nothing they make is worth buying.
So, exchanging it for a different Serta mattress makes no sense...especially given the costs involved.

The plywood amounts to a band-aid.
If it helps, I’m ok with that, given the low cost of doing it.
However, I’m not expecting that it will be of much help.
It should give you some extra firmness, but it doesn’t change the fact that the mattress is of poor quality.

Before spending the money for an exchange, I recommend cutting your losses.
Get rid of that mattress and replace it with a quality mattress....which you can do at a reasonable price.
Here is a link to a much better made, reasonably priced mattress.


Shipping is free and there’s no sales tax.


We recommend using a waterproof mattress protector with every mattress.
Keeping the upholstery materials clean and dry will extend the life of the mattress.


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 856-874-6894

Comments