A Mattress for Pain from Scoliosis and Fibromyalgia.

Terri writes: 

Good morning Pete,

I have reached your site after searching for a new mattress, for about 3 months now.  
My current Simmons Beautyrest Exceptionale Pillowtop mattress was wonderful when new - in 2010.  
About 2 years ago, the center began sagging and now it is exacerbating my already pain riddled body.  
I can no longer sleep on my left side- at all from severe pain. Only right sided sleep.  

I bought a mattress (gel/ memory foam) that was supposed to be plush, but it felt firm to me.  
It torched my neck and while lying on my side my under leg didn't even feel like it was resting on the bed at all.  
What a nightmare to repackage the bed myself and get it ready for return. 

I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestion you can offer for me with the following conditions.  
I have fibromyalgia, (19yrs). I have slight scoliosis on my lower spine.
I have neck issues, that if I'm not lying correctly, it feels like my head isn't relaxed on pillow. 
I also have arthritis and restless leg.  Searched years for a pillow.   
Everyday pain in shoulders, shoulder blades, neck, tailbone, hips and elbows.  
I am almost 54 years old. I weigh 145 lbs. I am a strictly a side sleeper.
Thank you kindly, in advance, for any suggestions you find helpful.
Terri

Hi Terri,
Your Beautyrest sinking in the middle has me worried about the support that mattress was getting. Before continuing, I’d like you to check to see if your framing has the proper center support...because a Beautyrest doesn’t usually wear that way.

Can you, perhaps, send me photos of what is under your bed?
What size is it?
If the support isn’t right, that would need to be addressed first.
Thanks, Pete

Hey Pete,
I got the matching boxspring that came with bed and bought frame recommended by seller. 
It is metal frame with one vertical bar down the center.  
I have since taken if off the frame 2_3wks ago, and have boxspring and mattress sitting directly on floor.  
The frame is no longer assembled to photo for you.  
I wondered about the frame because the bed is very heavy...(beastly).  
Thanks, Terri

Ok, Terri. That's good. There’s no better support than the floor.
If the box spring you’re using is 10 years old, it will need to be replaced.

You have internal and external physical issues that need to be addressed separately.
Neither, of which, can be addressed properly with a memory foam mattress.

The Beautyrest uses an individually pocketed coil unit, which contours to the shape of the body and maintains the natural alignment of the spine.
This Wolf, Old Fashioned Two-Sided Mattress has that same type of coil system.

Unlike your Beautyrest, the coils are made of tempered steel, which makes it more resilient. 
You would order that “plush both sides”.
That will take care of supporting you, internally.

After the mattress arrives, and you’ve slept on it for a couple of nights, you can then determine if the surface softness is sufficient to address your fibromyalgia.
If not, then you’ll want to add a soft latex topper.
The Suite Sleep, Pure, All-Natural Vita Talalay Latex Mattress Topper is the softest.
Shown at the bottom of this page:


When it comes to replacing the box spring, there are lots of choices.
All metal foundations are available online.
A standard box spring is best bought from Costco or Sam’s Club.
Or, this Basic Black Platform Bed will replace both, the box spring and frame.

Shipping is free and there’s no sales tax.
These items will be all you need for the next decade, or so.


We recommend using a waterproof mattress protector with every mattress.
Keeping the upholstery materials clean and dry will extend the life of the mattress.


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 856-874-6894

Comments