Severe Latex Allergy. Is the Latex in Sealy Mattresses Natural or Synthetic?

Briahna writes:

Hi Pete,
I'm am trying to determine if a 2014 Sealy optimum latex mattress would have natural or synthetic latex in it. 
I'm not sure of the model name. I've talked with Sealy customer service. 
One person told me Sealy had always used synthetic latex and a different person told me it was natural latex. 
When I asked for clarification, I was told natural and synthetic are the same... which does not make sense.

The reason this is so important to me is because my husband has a severe latex allergy. 
He has had an allergic reaction when laying on a bed with a latex foam mattress topper, even though the mattress was covered by layers of sheets and blankets. 
This mattress is at a house we will be staying at in July and I am trying to determine if it is safe for my husband. 
I found your email responses while searching for information about Sealy mattresses.

Thanks for any help you can offer, Briahna

Hi Briahna,
Sealy uses synthetic latex.
Sealy built a factory in Pennsylvania, around 2005, for the purpose of producing latex foam using the SAPSA process...originating in England years earlier.
Synthetic latex is a molecular clone of natural latex.
There are no chemicals to worry about, and the allergen, which is the protein that is naturally present in the sap of the rubber tree...from which natural latex is made, doesn’t exist in synthetic latex.

So, you have nothing to worry about.
I would recommend replacing the latex topper, to which he reacts, with a Vytex Natural Dunlop Latex Topper. 
The Vytex process removes all of the protein from natural latex.
Shown here:


Shipping is free and there’s no sales tax.

We recommend using a waterproof mattress protector with every mattress.
Keeping the upholstery materials clean and dry will extend the life of the mattress.


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 856-874-6894

Comments