Stearns and Foster Dunkirk Mattress.

Peter writes:

Hi Pete,
I am sleeping on a Stearns and Foster Dunkirk queen size mattress, and I love it.  
The Mattress was not used for about 15 years. 
But, because my current non-S&F king mattress is making my back hurt I began sleeping on the Dunkirk.  
My Dunkirk mattress feels very firm.  My back doesn't hurt.    
I now want to buy a king-sized mattress that is as close to my Dunkirk as is possible.  
Can you tell me which current S&F King mattress will feel like my Dunkirk queen?
Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,
I can save you from wasting your time.
There is nothing made, today, that matches the specifications of your Dunkirk model.
S&F was sold to Tempurpedic.
But even before that, S&F mattresses had changed significantly, from the time the Dunkirk had been made.

Most of today’s mattresses are upholstered with chemical based memory foam.
Memory foam is the worst upholstery material ever invented.
Be sure to avoid buying such a mattress. They don’t last long.

If your Dunkirk is still good, but only needs to be made more comfortable, you can achieve that by adding a Pure Talalay Bliss 2” or 3” Plush Natural Talalay Latex Topper.
Shown here:
https://themattressexpert.com/pure-latexbliss-toppers/

The latex topper will also prevent the mattress from wearing further.
Natural Latex is and has been the best upholstery material for the last 100 years.

Thanks, Pete

**************************************************

Hi Pete,
The problem is that I have to buy a king size mattress now. 
I don't know what kind of mattress to buy. 
Do you have any thoughts? 
The only datapoint I have is that my back doesn't hurt when I sleep on the queen sized Dunkirk.
Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,
Recommendations are offered, based on the specific needs of the customer.
What are the ages, sizes (heights and weights), and any/all physical ailments of the people who will using the mattress?

Thanks, Pete
************************************************************

Hi Pete, 
I am 75 years old. I weigh 165 lbs and am 5 feet 8.5 inches tall. 
My wife is 65 years old she weighs about 160 lbs., and she's 5 ft 6 in tall. 
We are both very active. We play tennis regularly, we walk and we travel. 
I have had some mild problems with low back pain, which hasn't really limited my activity. 
In the past, I have noticed that when I moved to a firmer mattress my back pain is less in the morning.  
I was recently sleeping on a Simmons Beautyrest Black King mattress. 
My back pain was getting to be quite severe in the mornings and so we switched to the guest room bed. 
This is the Stearns & Foster Dunkirk. 
After a couple of days, I woke up in the morning without back pain and continue to do that.  
That Stearns & Foster mattress is in our guest room.
My wife wants to have a king size bed and so I need a new king size mattress.  
Can you make a recommendation?
Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,
All of the name brands have been sold to investors. So, it's no longer about quality...just profit.
The Black Series is Simmons best...which will give you an idea of what's going on.
They are all using memory foam, which wears poorly, but doesn't show wear.
The memory foam returns when you get out of bed, so you are highly unlikely to prevail in a warranty claim.
The whole thing is nothing less than diabolical. No one is policing this industry.

We had been a Sealy/S&F retailer for many years. So, I know the quality of your Dunkirk model.
When Tempurpedic bought Sealy and S&F, we dropped both lines.
S&F had been 'The Cadillac of the Industry' for decades. Now, nothing more than expensive junk.
Memory foam is THAT bad.

We then went shopping at the trade shows, looking for mattresses with no memory foam.
They weren't easy to find...few and far between.
However, we did manage to find some.
The one we sleep on at home, is every bit a high quality mattress, as the old S&F line...although, a bit different.
Your mattress is two sided, if purchased prior to 2003.
It used a bonnell coil system...all the coils tied together for a rigid base support.
The upholstery is polyurethane foam.

The Natura of Canada Greenspring uses an individually pocketed coil system.
This does a better job of maintaining the spine's natural alignment...key to relieving disc related back pain.
Also, this coil system greatly reduces motion transfer. You can, more easily, feel each other move in your Dunkirk.
More importantly, the upholstery is natural Talalay Latex.
Latex is and has been the best upholstery material for the last 100 years...the only material better than poly foam.
There are four models in that line. We recommend the Ultra Plush...the one we have at home.
Due to the stronger coils and the more resilient latex upholstery, all four are firmer than they sound.
However, if you decide on one of the firmer models, you can always soften the surface with one of the aforementioned  plush latex toppers...should you or your wife find it to be too firm.

Here is a link to that line of mattresses:


These mattresses come with white glove delivery, which includes set--up and removal of your old mattress.
They take about 3 weeks to arrive.
Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Keeping your mattress clean and dry will increase longevity.
Use our Organic Cotton Waterproof Mattress Protector. 
Thanks, Pete

Questions?

Speak with The Expert
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
(Please include your time zone with your message)

Free Delivery...Factory Direct.
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Serving The US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments