A Mattress Similar to an Older Stearns and Foster Colton.

Sariah writes:

Hi Pete,

I’ve been shopping around for a mattress for about a month now. 
I think the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on was my brother’s bed which is an older Stearns and Foster, Colton model. 
I don’t even know what it’s made of but I was hoping to find something similar. 
So I kept close to S&F and found a mattress I liked, the Reserve Hepburn Luxury Plush model. 
But I decided to wait and do some research before I took the plunge. 
Boy am I glad! Because now I found you and other reviews that say Stearns and Foster isn’t what it used to be. 
Do you know what the older Colton model is made of? 
I would love to find something similar! 
Or what do you recommend for someone like me who likes the enveloping, soft plush of that newer Hepburn model.
But, I also want something that lasts and is supportive. 
I am young 30s, weigh 120 lbs, but have had back problems since I was a teenager (scoliosis specifically). 
Do I need an all latex mattress or just a topper? 
And what should I be topping it on top of? 
I discovered Zenhaven by Saatva but not sure how they measure up or if I should even consider a flippable mattress? 
I feel like I don’t know even what mattress to trust anymore after being let down by the negative S & F reviews.
I should also note that I sleep quite cold and have more trouble staying warm at night. 
Thanks for listening. 
Sariah
Hi Sariah,
You have a frame of reference that most people, your age, don't have.
You would have been a teenager when your brother's S&F mattress was made.
If that S&F mattress is one sided, to was made in 2003-04...there abouts.
If it's two sided, it was made in 2002 or earlier.

Since then, Tempurpedic has acquired ownership of the S&F label.
It was at that point, after they added memory foam to everything they make, when S&F went from being "The Cadillac of the Industry" to nothing more than expensive junk.
Memory foam is the worst upholstery material ever invented. It's sole purpose is to cause a mattress to need frequent replacing.
When buying a mattress today, it's important to avoid memory foam. Not only is it a poor quality product, it's also a health hazard...off gassing the toxic chemicals from which it's made.

The mattress industry started going bad, about 15 years ago, and really took a nosedive about 10 years ago.
Those responsible knew that, in time, that the buying public would eventually accept that mattresses would no longer be the durable product it once was.
Eventually, there would be fewer and fewer people who would remember how well made they had been.

Having your particular back problem, an all foam mattress does not provide the pushback support for your spine that is requires.
You will need an innerspring mattress for proper spinal support.    
The desire for a soft mattress...one that won't flatten out right away...is the tricky part.
However, that you weigh so little does mitigate in your favor.

Memory foam does produce that softer feel you like, but doesn't wear well...even under lighter body weights, as it is a temperature sensitive product.
So, to suit your needs and desires, my recommendation is for a Simmons Beautyrest in Luxury Firm and a soft latex topper to go on it.
The Beautyrest mattresses use a pre-compressed, individually pocketed coil unit, which will maintain the natural alignment of your spine.
The luxury firm models use a heavier gauge wire to make those coils, which you will need for long lasting support. 
The gauge of wire used for their plush models is way to thin for durability.
The memory foam in their mattresses, unlike most, is cured. It does not off gas.
However, the memory foam will help with that softer feel you want.
The soft latex topper will do add to that surface comfort and insulate you from the memory foam in the mattress.
The latex topper will absorb all of your body weight and cause the mattress to remain like new for many years.

My specific recommendation is for The Simmons Beautyrest Silver Series Great Lakes Cove Luxury Firm Mattress.
Shown here:



Add to that, a Pure Bliss 2" Plush Natural Talalay Latex Topper.
Shown here:

You'll be very happy with the support, comfort and longevity this sleep system combination provides.
The mattress comes with White Glove Delivery, which includes removal of your old mattress.
The latex topper arrives via UPS.
Delivery, for both, is free and there's no sales tax.


IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Protect and maximize your mattress investment. Use a waterproof mattress protector.

Thanks, Pete


Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.


Comments