Stearns and Foster Princedale Mattress Causing Back, Hip and Shoulder Pain.

Leanne writs:

Hello Pete,
I have a mattress predicament that I need to resolve ASAP.  Hoping you might be able to shed some light.  Here are the details:
I am a 45 yr. old female. I have MS (so mobility isn’t great), and I'm about 240lbs. The mattress would just be for me. I am a back and side sleeper.
I purchased Stearns and Foster Queen Princedale Luxury Firm  mattress, (thru a store, here in Canada).  
I've slept on it for 4-5 weeks. I've been waking up frequently to reposition due to lower back pain, hip and shoulder pain.
I added a 2” memory foam topper to see if it would help with hip and shoulder pain.  
It did for the first 2 weeks, but starting to have pain again. (Was the mattress topper not thick enough???).  

I went back to the store and chose to swap out the S&F mattress for a Simmons Beautyrest Black Precious Plush.  
The swap out happens physically tomorrow morning.
I am concerned I made the wrong choice.  
Here are essentially the options I have:
Keep the S&F mattress and get thicker topper.
Get S&F Wynford Plush (so more plush version of the mattress I currently have)
Get the Beautyrest Black Precious in plush, and hope for the best.

I thought I needed plush seeing as I am having hip and shoulder pain.  
I find I “sit on top of” the mattress with the S&F brand, and “sink into” the Beautyrest Black.  
The Beautyrest Black feels comfortable, but concerned what it will be like 6mo/2yr/7yr from now?!

I'm hoping you might be able to help me.  
I need a balance of support (given my weight), but also comfort (need to be able to sleep without waking to reposition due to pain!)
Can you help?
Sincerely, Leanne


Hi Leanne,
You’re assuming that these are quality mattresses, and it’s just a matter of finding one with the correct level of comfort and/or support.
The mattress industry has change dramatically over the past 10 years.
All of the name brands have been sold to investors who use memory foam to cause a mattress to need frequent replacing.
Despite the ads, hype, and sales pitches to the contrary, memory foam is the worst upholstery material ever invented.

None of the mattresses you’re considering will hold up well under anyone...and less so under someone your size.

The Simmons Beautyrest Black does have the strongest coil unit, of the ones you mentioned. And the memory foam Simmons uses is cured...meaning it does not off gas the toxic chemicals from which memory foam is made.

My recommendation is for the least expensive firm Black Beautyrest and a latex topper to go on it. The latex topper is the key component to this sleep system.
A latex topper will provide surface comfort and add longevity to the mattress.

The latex topper is a must...the only product that more than pays for itself, that this industry has to offer.
The memory foam topper, you bought, is worthless.
All memory foam is totally worthless.

It’s THIS information you need to understand before buying a mattress today.



Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Protect and maximize your mattress investment. Use a waterproof mattress protector.

Comments