A Mattress to hold a plus size woman.

Michelle writes:

Hi Pete,
I'm a plus size woman. I'm 5'9", approximately 350 lbs, almost 30 years old and really starting to feel the weight effect my body (sore knees, back, etc). 
I am a stomach sleeper most of the time, and occasionally on my sides. While losing weight is becoming a priority for me, my current bed has gone kaput. 
It is a seven year old, queen, Vera Wang latex mattress. It is completely slumped in the center and is causing my sciatica to flare up in pain. 
I am looking for recommendations on the best bed for someone my size. I prefer a softer mattress. I have done some research and have heard good and bad about memory foam. 
I hear good things about latex but, with my current bed lasting just 7 years, I'm a bit skeptical. Or is 7 years a good average? I really didn't like that I could not flip the bed.
I hear that for someone of my size I should look for a mattress that is 12+ inches deep. 
I was also hoping you could comment on box springs as I think that is a large reason my current bed has gone kaput. 
The Vera Wang box spring was two XL Twin box springs put together. They were kept on a metal frame and after about 4 years and then one box spring was broke and slumped. 
The bed was then placed atop a California king memory foam "box spring" and it was great. This was only how the bed was for 1 year. 
Fast forward to 2 years of the bed being atop a used box spring. 
A month ago, when the bed started to bother my back, I inspected the box spring and the center support beam was completely slumped, matching with the center slump in the bed. 
My father inspected my actual bed frame, which has already been modified with increased slats & support beams to accommodate my weight.
He believes the bed all together needs to be replaced. He doesn't believe replacing the box spring would fix the problem. 
After sleeping for 2 weeks with the mattress directly on the floor, I have to agree. 
Anyways!
What bed do you recommend for me and are there specific recommendations for beds that have foam "box springs"
I am looking to spend around $1000 but understand that you spend 1/3rd of your life in your bed and I am open to more expensive beds if necessary. 
Thank you so much for your time!
Michelle

Hi Michelle,
7 years from a Vera Wang, at your size, is pretty good. Those mattresses weren't all latex and didn't hold up all that well under average body weight.
Had it been all latex, it would have lasted longer. 
However, even when buying a latex mattress, a person of your size should be looking at a Dunlop Latex core with a Talalay Latex top
This combination provides more substantial support, as well as a comfortable sleeping surface.
Memory foam is the worst material ever invented for use in or as a mattress. 
Consisting of 61 chemicals, some of which are toxic, memory foam will collapse under you in a matter of months.
For the softness you seek...softness that will hold up well, use a layer of soft latex.
At your size, your options for getting a mattress, at the price you have in mind, are extremely limited.
I can offer a recommendation that will work for you, long term, but it will cost you more than $1000.00.
Let's start with the foundation.
The Forever Foundation comes with a lifetime warranty and is specifically designed to hold up under people your size.
It replaces the frame and foundation...shown here:


themattressexpert.com
About Forever Foundations Warranty Information Link Customer Service Link Imagine never having to buy a box spring and frame again! Manufactured with

Next, is the mattress...which will provide the support.
Having sciatica means you have worn discs in the small of your back. The vertebrae are pinching a nerve that sends the pain around your hip and down your leg.
An all foam mattress...even an all latex mattress, which is the most resilient of all the foams...doesn't provide the push back support your spine requires to address that problem.
The mattress I'm recommending is a two sided form mattress that will support your spine properly and hold up well under your weight.
That mattress is the Tulah in Firm...shown here:

themattressexpert.com
Old Fashioned made Two Sided Mattress that you can flip. Strong coil unit and NO Memory Foam. Durable for Plus Sized People. Works with Adjustable Bed Bases.

For the surface comfort you want, add an EverEden All Natural 3" Soft Vytex Dunlop Latex Topper...shown here:

themattressexpert.com
Soften the surface of a too firm mattress. Insulate yourself from the memory foam in your mattress to Sleep Cool. Extend the comfort life of your mattress.

Together, these components will support and comfort you...and do so over many years.



Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments