Mattress and Latex Topper Recommendations Needed.

Mike writes:

Good Day Peter,
I am writing for your recommendation regarding which Talalay latex topper, firmness/softness, I should choose for the beds in my home.  
Two of the mattresses I currently own are my children's mattresses, which I purchased from you approx. three years ago.
They are the Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Classic Flatbrook.  I did not purchase toppers at that time, but am considering it now with the idea of extending the life of the mattresses.  
The children only sleep on them every other weekend, so they are still in great shape; not sure I really need toppers at all.  
However, should I choose a topper for them, am I better off choosing firm or soft?  My son is currently eight.  My daughter will be ten next month.  
It appears the children generally sleep on their backs; sometimes on their sides.  
They are comfortable with the firmness/softness of the beds as they are without toppers, so I would be interested in the topper that is closest to the feel of the mattress as it is currently.  
Would firm or soft be a closer match.

Secondly, I am planning on purchasing a new king size mattress for myself.  
After much research online, (thank you for all your valuable information), I am leaning toward a full latex mattress, a hybrid latex mattress, or a coil spring mattress with a latex topper.  
I want a comfortable night's sleep, of course, but also want the mattress to be durable, the primary reason I am leaning toward latex v. memory foam.  
I can afford any of the three, but am value conscious and want the best value with regard to my final choice.  
Which choice offers the best value considering comfort and longevity:  full latex, hybrid, or coil w/ topper?  
How long could I expect each choice to last?

Finally, should I choose a full latex mattress, should I choose a firm or soft latex for the top layer?  
I have slept on the children beds and find them quite comfortable.
Perhaps my question is which firmness of latex is closest to the firmness level of the former Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Classic Flatbrook?
Thank you for any recommendations or advice you may offer regarding my questions.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Considering the every other weekend use your children are giving those mattresses, I don't see the need to add a latex topper to their beds for the sake of longevity...not at their ages.

If your son is expected to grow into a large fellow, that would be a good reason.
Your daughter is approaching the age where she'll soon blossom into a more womanly shape.
When she does, she'll encounter the problem that is most common among women...a sensitive hip.
If you do get toppers, which will have more benefit for them in a couple of years...the 2" Talalay Latex is what to get them...Medium for the boy and Soft for the girl.
Shown here:
https://themattressexpert.com/talalay-dunlop-latextoppers/


Before recommending a mattress for you, there are things I need to know.
1) Your size...height and weight
2) Physical Ailments. I'm specifically interested in any back problems you may have...and if those back problems are do to muscle strain or wearing discs.

Thanks, Pete


Hi Peter,
Thank you for your prompt response.  I appreciate your recommendations regarding the children's beds.  As for myself, I am 5'-9" tall and weigh approx. 165 lbs.  I don't have any notable physical ailments.  For a period of time I was sleeping on make-shift foam chairs that could be folded out flat into a sleeping surface.  That eventually led to back-aches, prompting me to use my son's bed on nights he was not present to make use of it himself.  I have not had any back aches since then.

As you ponder your response/recommendation, I would also appreciate your opinion or comments regarding Latex Memory Foam mattresses such as that advertised by Essentia:
https://www.myessentia.com/learn/versus/latex-vs-memory-foam-mattresses/

It appears it would be the best of both worlds.  I don't think I mentioned that I tend to sleep 'hot'.  I generally do not run the air-conditioning when the kids are not present.  I live in the midwest; today we saw 90 degree temps.  Often I do wake up sweaty, so a cool mattress is a primary consideration for me, which also led me to latex and or a coil hybrid, but then was intrigued by the idea of a latex memory foam, which promises the added comfort of memory foam in the cool, durable material of latex.  Your thoughts?

Thank you again.  I look forward to hearing from you again.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Memory foam is temperature sensitive...softening as it warms from your body heat.
As it softens, you sink into it.
It isn't very resilient to begin with, so the time it takes to soften gets shorter over the ensuing months...and the degree to which you sink into it becomes greater.
Natural, plant based memory foam isn't toxic...but is just as lousy in its performance as the chemical based memory foam. This has been well established over the 20 years it's been on the market.
Latex is and has been thee best upholstery material ever made for the last 100 years.
Latex comes in a wide variety of comfort levels. Soft latex does a better job of pressure point relief and easing blood flow than memory foam...in contradiction to the chart on that web link you sent me.

There is no, "The best of both worlds", when talking about memory.
Memory foam is the absolute worst upholstery material ever invented.

Even so, an all foam mattress provides no push back support against the spine.
Even the most resilient latex foam, doesn't do that.

Furthermore, I worry about you and your back.
As we age, the discs between our vertebrae wear.
A desk job, facilitates disc wear.
I would prefer to recommend a coiled mattress upholstered with latex.
It's also a better value.
The best of them will last you about 20 years...the same mattress we use at home.
It's the Natura of Canada Greenspring in Ultra Plush.
Shown here:

themattressexpert.com
Ensure better health and well being with the Liberty Ultra Plush Mattress...(aka Laurel). You'll delight in the comfort of natural wool, latex and plant-based

And while the name makes it sound soft, it isn't.
In fact, their ultra plush has the Luxury Firm feel of your kids' beds.

Compare that to the Pure Talalay Latex Bliss "Nutrition" all latex mattress.

themattressexpert.com
Pure Talalay Bliss Natural Talalay Latex Mattresses provide excellent long lasting support comfort.

The Nutrition model has the feel you want, but is a lot more money.
And, it doesn't have the push back support of the pocketed coils.

You must be, what, 30 to 35 years old?
15 years from now, you'll still have whichever of these mattresses you choose.
You'll be 15 years older, as well.
I'd feel better knowing you're on the Natura coil/latex mattress...for the sake of supporting an aging back.



Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments