Two Sided Old Fashioned Firm Mattress and Plush Latex Topper for a Large Man.

John writes:

Hi Pete, 
I am in the market for a new bed. I stumbled across your blog as I was doing some research into what bed would work well for me. 
The reason for the research is that I am a large man. I'm 6'0" and weigh about 400 lbs. I typically sleep on my stomach with the occasional side sleep when if I get uncomfortable. 
I prefer that my feet hang over the edge of the bed rather than contorting them to the side on top of the bed. My previous bed I bought nearly 20 years ago.
It is a King Coil Posture Bond Tiara mattress that I've had no complaints with until recently. 
I did no research at the time other than the in store cursory tryout, so I wouldn't put much stock into what I purchased. I bought it because it felt ok. 
That was 20 years and about 150 lbs ago. I've since developed some back pain, but I feel it has more to do with the degradation of my bed than anything else. 
I feel it's lost the support in the center, so when I'm sleeping, my head and feet get elevated and arch my back.
From what I can tell with my initial research, it is likely that a Stearns and Foster bed is what I should buy. 
From a recent stay at an uncle's place, I know that I don't like too firm of a bed as he had one that was rock hard that I couldn't get to sleep on. 
I had to go sleep on the couch to get remotely comfortable. 
Due to my size, it's likely that I should get a firmer mattress and probably a mattress topper as well to aid in longevity of the mattress.
As far as the size of the bed, I sleep alone and have only owned Twin sized beds, but I debated on whether I should go up to a Full. 
My thoughts were that the larger the bed, the more likely it would sag in the middle, which I think is the problem with my current bed. 
Do smaller beds resist sagging in the middle longer than larger beds? Maybe I should stick with the Twin (or Twin XL).
What can you do for me?
Thanks! John 

Hi John,
Welcome to the 21st century...a time when few mattresses are made as well as they had been, 20 years ago.
For you, it's like stepping out of a time warp. And with many others who have old mattresses that performed well, it's common to assume that the quality is still the same.
Nothing could be further from the truth, and nothing Stearns & Foster makes today will hold up under a person your size....
....now that they are owned by Tempurpedic and loaded with memory foam.
It's the memory foam you need to avoid. Your old King Koil mattress doesn't have any memory foam in it, which is why it held up so well for so long.

So, let's start you off with an old fashioned two sided firm mattress for support...a mattress with no memory foam.
This mattress is for support...the kind of support you need for a man your size.
The models is the Tulah in Firm....shown here:

themattressexpert.com
Old Fashioned made Two Sided Mattress that you can flip. Strong coil unit and NO Memory Foam. Durable for Plus Sized People. Works with Adjustable Bed Bases.
Now that we have you supported properly, lets make you comfortable. 
That is achieved with a latex topper. I suggest the EverEden All Natural 3" Medium Vytex Dunlop Latex Topper for you.
Shown here:

themattressexpert.com
Soften the surface of a too firm mattress. Insulate yourself from the memory foam in your mattress to Sleep Cool. Extend the comfort life of your mattress.
The question of size is a good one. There no question that you got 20 years out of your mattress, in part, because the area was small.
When you buy a full size mattress, a frame with a center support is not normally required.  For you, that center support is a must.
The full size will give you more width and will likely be more comfortable for you. But, it will wear faster than a twin.
If staying with the twin, don't go with the extra long, since you like your feet to hang over the end.



Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments