Need a New Mattress After 20 Years for a Very Sore Hip.

Tracie writes:

Hi Pete,
After 20 years of having our pillowtop mattress, I can no longer deny it's time for a new one. 
I have avoided even entertaining the thought or beginning the process of looking, lying, testing, and hearing all the pitches from the salespeople. 
We also have three teenagers who are all driving, on the verge of driving, or heading to college soon, so their needs/expenses have always come before ours. 
However, I can no longer deny the amount of pain I'm in throughout the day and night. 
I started developing extreme hip pain (I'm a side sleeper), but blamed it on my running shoes. I also have been averaging two to four hours asleep a night. 
Well, long story short, I replaced my shoes, invested in expensive orthodontics, took a break from running, only to realize it's my mattress. Duh!! 
So, here I am, beginning the daunting process of finding the perfect mattress to relieve the extreme pain I'm in and to finally get a good night’s sleep!
I stumbled across your blog and your company and read your whole story. 
I must say, I'm a little intrigued with the latex material and the ease of shopping from my home for a mattress. 
I know I don't want memory foam, but other than that, I'm starting fresh after twenty years. 
So, if I give you some info, could you lead me in the right direction with either your company or a suitable model that I could possibly lay on in my area (I live in Georgia)?

Age- me-soon to be 49 husband 48
Height and weight - me - 5ft 3in & 135 pds  husband- 5ft 9in & 220 pds
Activity-me-running and working out. Husband -none
Problems- me- extreme hip pain throughout day and night, not getting sleep, tossing and turning, extremely hot at night (may be my age).  Husband-snoring ugh!

We currently have an old pillowtop, and do like the feel of the softness but I know I need support too. 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a retailer close by that carries your mattresses that I can physically see?
Thank you, Tracie


 
Hi Tracie,
15 - 20 years ago, was the last time you could by a pillowtop mattress and have it last this long.
Much has changed in this industry, especially over the last 15 years.
As a consumer, who is stepping out of a 20 year time warp, it's common for you to assume that nothing has changed and mattresses are made as well today, as they were then.
They aren't. This is especially true of the name brands, who have traded quality for profit.
The thing that has caused this change, this dramatic drop in quality, is the thing you know to avoid...memory foam.

When shopping in stores, you'll find a sea of mattresses, all upholstered with memory foam.
It's difficult to find the higher quality products, in stores, that you can find on line.
The stores...especially the big chain mattress stores, are interested in the same thing the name brands are interested in...selling more mattresses more frequently to the same people.
So, they aren't interested in carrying mattresses that last a long time...which is what latex foam produces.

Since 2008, we as a country, have not fully recovered from the economic disaster of that time.
You, like many, have to be careful not to waste the money you have to spend...citing the importance of meeting other obligations.
But, when you need a mattress, you need a mattress.
It's common to go out to a store and end up with something affordable that's loaded with memory foam.
After all, the salespeople talk about that junk as though it's the best thing since sliced bread.
In following their advice, you send yourself into a physically painful and economic death spiral....so to speak...with a mattress that causes pain and wears quickly.

It's good that you don't like memory foam. Add pillowtop mattresses to your list of things to avoid, and you'll do well.

I like to recommend the least expensive mattress that will do the job, for people with lots of other expenses with which to address.
Unfortunately, your husband's weight prevents me from recommending one of our lower cost products.
A mattress is a pressure sensitive product, and the mattress chosen must withstand the pressure placed upon it.

The mattress that my wife and I sleep on, would be perfect for the two of you.
We are in the 225 lb. range and my wife has a very sensitive hip. And I have lots of disc related back problems.
This mattress uses a pocketed coil unit, which contours to the body and maintains the spine's natural alignment.
The coil count is very high and the steel from which the coils are made, is double tempered for greater resiliency.
What's more, the upholstery is natural Talalay latex....containing NO Memory Foam.
This is, easily, a 20 year mattress...which makes it far less expensive than a most other kinds of mattresses...in the long term.

Here is a link to your best choice, considering all of your needs.
It's made by Natura of Canada. The model is the Plush Eurotop...their most comfortable mattress.
https://themattressexpert.com/natura-greenspring-pocketed-coil-mattresses/

themattressexpert.com
Greenspring Liberty Plush Euro Top. Experience deeper, more restorative sleep with the Liberty Plush Euro Mattress. Lush helpings of natural ingredients come together ...

Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX



Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments