Advice on Latex Mattress Topper to Relieve Back, Hip and Shoulder Pain.

Amy writes:

Hello Pete,
I would like some advice on selecting a latex topper. I have read your blog and Q&As extensively, but couldn't find anything that completely addressed my situation. 
I have a 13-year-old two-sided queen mattress that I believe could be described as cushion firm or luxury firm. 
Lately, I've had intermittent problems with shoulder, hip, and low back pain (not necessarily all at the same time) that aren't due to injury. 
I am mostly a side sleeper, but sometimes I end up on my back. I am petite in height (5'2"), but I am also heavy (180 lbs, but losing). I sleep alone. 
I mainly need something to cushion my pressure points, but I'm pretty happy with the softness level of my mattress. So, I am torn between a 2" or 3" Talalay latex topper in Soft or Medium. 
I do realize that with the age of my mattress, you are probably going to tell me I need to get a new one and getting a topper would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig. :-) 
However, I have other financial commitments for 2017 (like a new sofa to replace one even older than the mattress) and a new bed will probably be too big an expenditure in the same year. 
That's because I intend to purchase a king size mattress (my parents need one for when they visit), topper, AND a new bed. 
So, my plan is to do that in early 2018. 
Until then, the topper is intended to be a stop-gap measure, and wouldn't be a total waste of money because I will be keeping the mattress to use in the guest bedroom. 
Thanks in advance for your help!
Amy

Hi Amy,
That somewhat graphic, "Lipstick on a Pig" analogy, is something you might hear from mattress salespeople at stores, who's job it is to sell you a new mattress.
About 15 years ago, mattresses went one-sided. And since then, manufacturer's of innerspring mattresses have been adding more and more memory foam.
The memory foam is designed to fail within a few years, at best. You, currently,  have a quality mattress and I would not suggest buying new if all you need is a bit more comfort. 
Besides providing comfort, pressure point relief, muscle relaxation and improved blood flow...latex is also extremely resilient, adding years more life to the mattress you already have.
For the comfort and pressure point relief you seek, I'm recommending the 2" Soft Talalay Latex. The 3" Soft will be too great a depth of softness for your size.  
The 2" soft is not too soft and does a fine job. 
You can choose between the EverEden and Pure Bliss brands...shown here:



Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments