A Mattress for Multiple Sclerosis and Arthritis.

April writes:

Hi, Pete,

I have multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and connective tissue problems that add up to me spending about 90% or more of my life in bed. 
I have found I prefer the softest mattresses I can get, but every one of them takes a groove very quickly so far! 
At this point, my current mattress has dished lines along all four edges since I realized I could get away with rotating it just 90 degrees and only have a slight mismatch with the boxspring. 
I'm looking into getting a replacement, probably stepping down to full sized instead of king. 
If it is possible to get an adjustable bed for around $1000 that will hold up, that would be even more amazing.
I am effectively currently losing a good couple feet of bed to the massive pile of pillows that allow me to be semifunctional during the day. 
I could probably swing as much as $1500, but it'll take waiting and saving no matter what the cost. 
Any advice, for either a flat or adjustable mattress, is appreciated!
April


Hi April,
Softness without substance is what the industry is pushing, in order to sell more mattresses more frequently to the same people.
Memory foam is the chief cause of this. Over its 20 year existence, it has proven to be the absolute worst upholstery material ever invented for this purpose.

In order to get the degree of comfort you want, and have it keep its shape and last, you need the best quality upholstery material, which is all natural latex...the best for the last 100 years.
However, latex is fairly expensive, as it is expensive to make.
Memory can be expensive too, but that's mostly profit made on a cheaply made product.

But, you can save some money by foregoing the adjustable bed base.
It's a fun product to have, but has zero therapeutic value.

I need to know your age, height & weight, and if you have any spinal issues...specifically, disc related back problems.
Thanks, Pete

*******************************************************************************************


Hi Pete, and thanks for the fast response! 
I'm 38, about 5'4", and fluctuate between 175 and 195 pounds. 
I have rotary scoliosis in my lumbar spine that leads to sciatic nerve pinches at the slightest provocation, as well as a mildly herniated disk in my neck. 
My hips and shoulders have been known to dislocate in my sleep, yet I find myself virtually unable to sleep except on my side, leading to many nights of painsomnia. 
My boyfriend (5'8"/150 lbs.) also sleeps with me, and while he would prefer a firmer mattress, the lucky duck can sleep on anything from a pile of pillows to a concrete floor with rarely any ill effect. 
My 87 pound Lab/Dane mix service dog shares the bed as well, more often than not. 
I used to have a latex mattress back when I was a teenager, and despite it being a single sized I dearly wish I still had it. 
Even without a box spring, it was the most comfortable thing I ever slept on, and was still in excellent shape aside from a few stains when I had to give it away because I just needed more room! 
I'll definitely be searching up latex mattresses; between you and all the other info online, they really do look to be worth the extra cost! 
Thanks again, April
 
Good Morning April,
You need a mattress that is strong.
You need a mattress that provides contouring support.
You need a soft sleeping surface.
You need all this to last, so that you get your money's worth.

My wife and I are large people, each with plenty of physical issues.
The sleep system we have at home is one that we like best out of all the ones we've tested.
It's made by Natura of Canada. Their Greenspring line uses a pocketed coil system, providing contouring support that is designed to maintain the natural alignment of your spine.
There are more than 1000 coils in a queen size and those coils are made of double steel for strength and resiliency.
The upholstery is natural Talalay Latex. Latex being the best upholstery material for the last 100 years.
These is no memory foam in these mattresses.

Because the components are of such high quality, even the ultra plush model is not soft enough at the surface for your arthritis.
So, you'll do what we did, and add an EverEden 2" Soft Talalay Latex topper to go on it....for a more yummy surface feel. (As my wife describes it).
Here are the links to that line of mattresses and to the latex toppers.
https://themattressexpert.com/natura-greenspring-pocketed-coil-mattresses/

themattressexpert.com
Greenspring Liberty Plush Euro Top. Experience deeper, more restorative sleep with the Liberty Plush Euro Mattress. Lush helpings of natural ingredients come together ...
https://themattressexpert.com/talalay-dunlop-latextoppers/

themattressexpert.com
Talalay Latex toppers are normally purchased as “Soft” for the purpose of softening a too firm mattress. However, both, the Vytex Dunlop & Talalay Latex Mattress ...

Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments