Mattress advice for a large man.

Dear Mattress Experts,
I am writing looking for some individual mattress advice. I’ll explain a bit about my situation and hope you can help…

Unfortunately, I’ve discovered that I am very bedding sensitive. 
I’m male, 47 years old, about 16 stone (quite big) and side sleeper. I am also on medication for high blood pressure. 
I sleep alone on a double bed, currently in an area where planes fly quite low overhead. For a long time, I slept on a large wooden John Lewis storage bed frame with a John Lewis mattress. 
The frame has large beech slats, quite close together and is very firm. The mattress was called Madrid (it’s now discontinued), was about 18cm thick and made from talalay latex. 
I’m pretty sure it was 100% latex as it was very heavy and seemed very internally consistent.

Unfortunately, my mattress started sagging and wore out a few months ago. 
I asked John Lewis what it was made from, as I was looking for a direct replacement, but it was so old (from about 2004) that then no longer had the specs. 
I had slept on other beds at different times and knew I did not get along with pocket sprung mattresses. 
However, after explaining my predicament I was persuaded to buy a mixed pocket spring and latex model by a bedding firm who offered a 30 day guarantee and said they had a 95% success rate in matching people to beds. The mattress they sent was about 26cm thick, from the bottom consisting of a 1500 pocket spring section, then about 3cm of HD foam, 6cm of white talalay latex and a thin layer of 300gsm wool silk blend.

The new mattress seemed okay at first (it was an instant improvement on the aging, concave mattress that I had). 
However, after the 30 day replacement warranty passed, it became gradually apparent that I was having trouble. 
When I do not get along with a bed / mattress I get a range of physical symptoms: a feeling of stress and exertion, pins & needles, broken sleep, slight swellings 
(I get swellings as a general response to being run down), tightness in my head, trouble urinating properly, feeling groggy by day, occasionally slight eye-ache when I get up. 
I had none of these symptoms on my old mattress, at least before it started sagging badly. Now I have some of them almost every night. 
I purchased a 5cm latex topper to help address them, but it has had no effect. 
Adding to my issues is that I have had to move bedrooms, so now I think that micro-tremors from overhead aircraft (especially around 6am) are adding to the mix. 
The paradox is that I do not think I am a bad sleeper. 
I recently went on holiday to Sweden and, due to the sleeping arrangements, ended up sleeping on a big leather couch for a week without any difficulties. 
It was more comfortable that my bed at home. I even checked my home bed with a spirit level and it seems level. 
I’m sure the micro-tremors from planes above do not help, but they are more a 6am plus issue, and I started having mattress reaction problems in a room that did not get them.

I am now at my wits end. It has now got to the point where I regularly get off my bed in the early hours, put my mattress topper on the floor, and sleep there. 
After being stressed and exerted on my bed, I get a better sleep on the floor! I am getting frustrated as I have to make up for lost sleep by dozing during the day.

I have concluded that am not suited to box bases or pocket springs. 
I probably need to change my bed base (the beech slats are pretty rigid), and I now know that I really do not get on with pocket springs in any shape or form. Instinctively, 
I think I might be better suited to continuous coil bed bases, as they seem to sag to draw in the body. However, I am at a loss what to get. 
If I invest in a full talalay mattress, I have no guarantee it will work, especially as I find my topper (which is talalay latex) different to my old bed. 
Technically I now sleep on 11cm of latex (amongst other materials), yet am still stressed. 
Added to this, I have found almost no research on hypertension and bedding, or independent sources of bedding advice online. Please help if you can!

thanks,
Mark 



 
Hi Mark,
You are not alone, when it comes to being afraid to buy a mattress without a comfort guarantee.
However, you bought one and that didn't work. A mattress with a continuous wire coil won't fare any better, but hey, it'll come with a guarantee.
Mattresses that don't hold up well come with a comfort guarantee. It's the hook that makes it easy to sell things that don't work.
I find it particularly odd that you would be afraid to buy that which has worked for you in the past, simply because it doesn't have a comfort guarantee.
I don't think you need my help at all. I think you know what to do...with only your fear holding you back.
Overcoming your fear is not something I can help you with. But once you get past that, you'll be fine.
Stop by a pharmacy and pick up some earplugs. I find the round opaque waxy discs do the best job of cancelling sound.
When I use them, all I can hear is the sound of my own breathing.
The postal code you supplied, indicates that you're in Canada.
Here is a link to Natura's All Latex line, which is available for delivery throughout Canada.
https://themattressexpert.com/natura-latex-level-2-mattress/

themattressexpert.com
Level 2 – All Natural Latex Mattresses. Natura uses only the highest quality materials available for their Latex Mattresses….(No Chemicals and No Fillers)…with ...
Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.



Thanks, Pete

An Important Note: 
Any kind of moisture, be it from spills, accidents or perspiration causes a mattress to wear prematurely.
Protect your investment with high quality, Waterproof Mattress and Pillow Protectors that sleep cool and won't shrink.

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments