A Simmons Mattress & Latex Topper for Arthritis & Fibromyalgia.

Kathleen writes:

Hi Pete,
I am hoping you can help me have a better night sleep.  I’m possibly in the market for 2 mattress sets.
I suffer from terrible back, neck, and leg pain, but mostly only at night.  I am confident it is the mattresses we have in our house.  
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia.  My pain starts the second I hit the mattress to go to sleep.  
It is literally like a torture chamber, with me constantly tossing and turning to get comfortable, from the moment I lay down until I finally get out of bed in the morning.  
My sleep quality is a 2 on a 10 point scale.  I’ve tried a feather topper, latex topper, flat pillows and fluffy pillows.  I’ve taken Advil, sleeping pills, and Vicodin.  
I know it is the mattresses, because I’ve had a good night sleep in some of the hotels when I travel. 
We just got back from vacation.  For 5 nights I slept on a Serta King size mattress, with only the mattress and the steel foundation (like I see on your website).  
It was the best night sleep I’ve had in a very long time!  It seemed like a very firm mattress.  
I’ve done research and it doesn’t appear it is made any longer, and there were reviews on it losing its support after a short time too.  
I am hoping you know what this mattress was made of, and give me your thoughts on why it would have been so comfortable, and what is made now that would be comparable or BETTER :-)
 
The first mattress we have is the original Tempurpedic mattress.  
I've always hated this mattress in its original form, hence it has been in the guest room for a long time.  
Several months ago I started sleeping here though.  I have tried several different toppers, it now has a 3” talalay latex topper.  
I feel like my body is still not supported well enough, which is creating pressure points.  
I’ve tried all the things mentioned above, but I cannot improve the feel of this mattress.  
The only thing that marginally helped was the feather topper, but it always loses its comfort loft/shape from body compression.  
Every night I toss and turn to fall asleep, wake up many times, and because of pain, cannot get back to sleep for a long period.  I’m probably getting 2-4 hours of sleep max.
 
The second room, where my husband sleeps, I abandoned many months ago. That mattress is a newer model, which is a hybrid, with memory foam.  
It is literally sinking where I lay, which creates tremendous pain/pressure points the moment I lay down in it.  My husband is not bothered by it at all and thinks it’s fine.  
He has fought me on buying a new mattress, which is why I finally went to the other room.  Sadly, as mentioned, it is not much better.
 
I’ve done hours and hours of research, and literally afraid to purchase a mattress for fear it will not solve my pain issues at night, and I'll be stuck with a mattress.  
Do you have any recommendations, and if so, why do you think it is the right choice?  I am 57 y/o 145 lbs and a side sleeper.  My husband is 64, about 165-170 and mainly sleeps on his stomach.  
Help......what do you suggest?
 
Thank you!  Sorry for the long message, this has just been such a stressful ordeal to find a new mattress that I feel will be comfortable and long lasting.  I've fought my husband for a long time on how terrible these mattresses are, and he is finally ready.  I think he realized it when we slept on this mattress during our vacation how much better it was.
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
I don't blame you for being afraid. That's your common sense protecting you.
Fact is, the mattress industry, as a whole and with some exceptions, has gone bad.
You can no longer buy a mattress, based strictly on comfort, and have a reasonable assumption that it will hold up. Most won't.
The major culprit is memory foam...which is what you have.
However, the underside of your Tempurpedic is high density poly foam, which is why I suggested you flip it over and add your Talalay latex topper.
There exists the possibility that once you've done that, you'll be perfectly comfortable and buying a new mattress could become unnecessary.

There are loads of bad mattresses out there, that feel fine...initially.
Serta iComfort and iSeries rank high among the worst mattresses available.
So, you see, you can't trust your sense of comfort. They simply do not keep their support or comfort for longer than a matter of months.

If, after you've flipped your mattress and added your topper, you still feel you need a new mattress, I recommend the Simmons Beautyrest World Class in luxury firm. 
The model name varies from store to store. It's called Santorini when purchased through us...shown here:



You'll add your latex topper to that. That Talalay Latex topper is the highest quality product you own.



Thanks, Pete

An Important Note: 
Any kind of moisture, be it from spills, accidents or perspiration causes a mattress to wear prematurely.
Protect your investment with high quality, Waterproof Mattress and Pillow Protectors that sleep cool and won't shrink.

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments