Scoliosis, firm mattress with a latex topper.

Ana writes:

Hi Pete,
I've been researching new mattresses as I've been waking up with increased back pain and stiffness over the past few years. I'm hesitant as to whether a latex or regular firm mattress with a latex topper would be best for me. I have a 53 degree mid thoracic curve which has increased over the past 4 years. I presently sleep on a firm mattress that is 10+ years old with a foam mattress topper I purchased at Costco over 3 years ago. I am a side sleeper (for the most part) and find comfort using a pillow between my knees.
Based on some of the questions I've seen you ask on the blog, I will add:
1) pain is mostly in mid to upper back and right shoulder
2) lying on a floor helps me crack my back and stretch
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and regards, Ana

Hi Ana,
Scoliosis is a tricky problem to circumvent when choosing a mattress.
There are, basically, two types of support...contouring and rigid.
The contouring support comes from foam & individually pocketed coils.
The more rigid support comes from coils that are interlocking, with some more rigid than others.
One of the clues we use to determine which is best for the individual scoliosis patient, is what happens when you lie on the floor.
Some find relief, as you do, and some encounter more pain.
Based on your information, an interlocked coil system is best for you.
That you are a female side sleeper, tells me that an interlocked coil that isn't so rigid would be the way to go.
The best that we carry, along those lines, would be the two-sided Therapedic Cameo mattress, which uses an interlocked coil, where the coils are smaller, greater in number and more flexible than a unit that uses a larger & heavier coil....like the Medi-Coil on the same webpage that I will send you.
If you are average size, height & weight, I would go with the Cameo in plush. For this model, no topper is needed.
If you are heavier than average, I would suggest the Cameo firm with a 2" soft Talalay Latex topper for surface comfort.
Here is the link to those mattresses...and a link to the latex toppers. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.


Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Plush Mattress
Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Plush Mattress

Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Firm Mattress
Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Firm Mattress
Latex Foam Mattress Topper
Latex Foam Mattress Topper



Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments