Beautyrest Black Ava Mattress and Adjustable Bed - Is it right for me?‏

Crystal writes:

Hi Pete,
I just recently bought a Beautyrest Black (Ava) from one of those large chain stores. After sleeping on it for four days; I have been tossing and turning at night and now have a stiff neck. The bed that I also received seems considerably squishy in my heaviest area and much softer than the one I laid on in the store. Sleep Country labels it as a plush mattress. I really liked that this model had a medium firm support and comfort at the same time without having to buy a pillow-top mattress.  It feels like the one that was delivered to my house is different (possibly used). Would the manufacturer or retailer actually do that, hence the voided warranty if it has any marks or stains. There wasn't even any odor once it arrived like my salesperson said there would be. I am a 34 year old female and weigh about 170lbs. This bed comes with a 100 day satisfaction guaranteed or I can swap it out for another mattress at no cost. Not sure if I made the right decision. I don't want to spend $2,000 plus on a mattress that isn't right for me. Do you have any suggestions of what mattress I should swap to if I go that route?
FYI... I also bought the Leggett and Platt Designer adjustable bed (D-222) with it. Will this ruin my mattress by adjusting it up and down all the time. Should I have just bought the regular box spring and saved myself some money?   
Much appreciated, Crystal 


Hi Crystal,
The Simmons Black is a great product...for support.
My wife and I have on older version of the Ava.
Mistakes you made were two: the luxury plush model over the luxury firm model...and, the adjustable bed base.

All of Simmons' plush models are such a continual problem, that I list none of them on my website. 
An adjustable bed base is a great thing to have if you use your bedroom to hang out in.
For sleeping, it's a waste of money, unless you have a specific problem that requires it...but, even then, there are less expensive ways to deal with those problems.
And, if you do get an adjustable bed base, it will wear out an innerspring mattress quicker.
The best mattress for that kind of base is all latex, which is durable enough to take the punishment...and, an all natural latex mattress is plenty comfy.

Latex mattresses can be quite expensive, so a firm innerspring with a 2" latex topper works well.
I would have suggested to you, an Ava in luxury firm with a latex topper for surface comfort that is far greater than the poly & memory foam used in the mattress.
This combination with the standard boxspring.

Comfort exchanges are a sucker's bet...for lack of a more gentle way to put it.
The manufacturers do not participate in this scam.
So, when you deal with a retailer that offers it, you could easily wind up with something someone else had sent back.

The stain clause is written in stone, in every manufacturer's warranty. Perspiration stains are evidence of an unprotected mattress. Moisture that seeps into the mattress will break down the upholstery layers. It's important to use a waterproof mattress protector. Unfortunately, most that are on the market, cause you to sleep hot.
We have one available that sleeps cool and doesn't shrink when washed in hot water and dried on high heat. We've tested and use it at home. It's the best I've ever come across.

So, my recommendation would be to send it all back. Go with the same mattress in luxury firm.
Add the latex topper and get a Lo-profile boxspring.
Here are links to that mattress on our website, the latex toppers, and the waterproof mattress protector. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

Simmons Beautyrest Black Ava Mattress
Simmons Beautyrest Black Ava
Latex Foam Mattress Topper
Latex Foam Mattress Topper

Danican Waterproof Mattress Protector
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protector




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments