A Two-Sided Mattress & Latex foam topper for large people that will last.

Kelly writes:

Hi Pete,
I am now looking to purchase mattress #3 within 6 years.  The first mattress was a cal king Simmons Beautyrest Black in early 2009, whichever one was "the dream bed", my husband wanted this after sleeping on it in a hotel.  The bed was damaged on the way in to our bedroom (bent over a staircase post), i didn't realize for a few days that it was damaged when they bent it over the post... we were stuck given the no return policy and no proof they bent it. We simply positioned the bent side at the foot and lived with it.  Within abut 6 months it began to sag and we would roll into the middle of the bed.  My husband is about 325 lbs and i am about 175.  I think it should have lasted a little longer.  I figured maybe it was just too soft, not enough support for us.

In January 2011 I purchased a Tempurpedic Rhapsody cal king.  Now, I have a Queen Beautyrest World Class Baymont Extra Extra Firm bed in my spare room, it is currently 12 years old, it has a tempurpedic topper on it since 2006 or 2007. I love it, which is what made me look at tempurpedic.  

When I purchased the Tempurpedic Rhapsody I was cautious, I called them multiple times and explained that while my husband didn't care about firmness I required firm, really firm.  I had had three back surgeries the last one was a dbl fusion in 1998.  they told me the Rhapsody would be great, i found a store that had them and tried it out - this was winter, so it was firm when i tried it in the store.  I bought it, it was delivered in February 2011, frozen, they actually couldn't bring it to the bedroom, they had to come back after it defrosted.  At first the bed was great.  it was not until AFTER my 90 day trial that the weather warmed up and the bed softened up and i then had issues getting out of it and moving in it.  specifically, if i was on my back i could not roll onto my side without twisting the upper half of my body.  I called tempurpedic, I was about 2-3 weeks outside of the trial, they basically told me i was SOL.  i called them multiple times throughout the next few months asking how i could fix this, should i put a topper on it??  no advice no nothing, basically eat the 4k i spent on it.  I slept in my other bedroom for about a year when my back started seriously bothering me, the bed would make it worse.

Fast forward to today.  I am recuperating from a micro-discectomy at the level above my fusion (3 weeks ago).  i have been sleeping in my spare bedroom since the end of March.  i had an mri in feb 2011 of my entire back, i did not have a herniation at this level at that time.  i do now and a bad one, that caused a drop foot on my right side (trip over my own foot, no driving, etc).  one of the surgeons said the repetitive twisting in the bed very well could have caused it. If i could only prove it did, then maybe Tempurpedic would be paying for the next mattress.

So here I am.  My husband wanted me to look at a sleep number. ha!  i told him earlier, if you don't care about the firmness then i don't need to buy a sleep number and then worry about a pump failing or mold or spend another 4k on yet another bed that probably wont last.  I want what i have in my spare bedroom.  hard hard hard, like sleeping on my floor hard, with a nice NOT highly conforming topper, something only to alleviate the pressure in my shoulder when i sleep on my side.
Any advice?  the only other nice to have feature would be not feeling it when my husband moves in the bed..
Thanks, Kelly


Hi Kelly,
You first have to understand that today's mattresses aren't made to last. They are made to sell and be disposable...under average body weight.
To support a man the size of your husband, requires that you buy a strong mattress....like the one in your spare room.
We carry two-sided mattresses that were engineered to hold the weight you have, with my heaviest customers in excess of 500 pounds.
Those would be made by Therapedic and are the Medi-Coil models.
And just like the mattress in your spare room, you'll add a mattress topper to soften the surface. Unlike the memory foam you are using there, we suggest using latex instead. Latex foam is far superior to memory foam, and in many ways. It's all natural, compared to the 61 different chemicals used to make memory foam. It more comfortable, more resilient and does a far better job of relieving pressure points and relaxing muscles for a deeper night's sleep.
Also, latex sleeps cool, while memory foam sleeps hot. It only takes 2" of soft Talalay Latex to do the job and do it long term.
Here are links to those mattresses and to the latex toppers. 
These products are extremely high quality...unlike what you've been buying.


Two Sided Therapedic Mattresses
Two Sided Therapedic Mattresses

http://themattressexpert.com/talalay-dunlop-latextoppers/ 
Latex Foam Mattress Topper
Latex Foam Mattress Topper


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments