Simmons Black Alexia and A Latex Foam Mattress Topper for a Large Man.

KH writes:

WOW! What a wealth of imformation I just found on your site. Already found answers to some of my questions like can I just buy the mattress w/o the box springs, well yes, but I'd be voiding my warranty. . . not something I want to do. Also found out that I was one of those suckers that fell for the pillow top mattress just 6 1/2 years ago and am now having problems. We bought the bed almost on a whim for my husband who had back surgery and needed something better. Well, that's what we thought we were getting. Suffice it to say that we didn't do research and certainly paying the price in more ways than one.
Unfortunately, I'm now a widow and only need to satisfy my needs for a mattress. I'm 54 yrs old, 5'3", 260lbs carrying my weight mostly between my hips and knees. I am mostly a side sleeper. I would like to continue to lose weight before investing in a mattress just yet, but need some help with comfort. The issues that I'm currently having is that #1 it's a pillowtop #2 it's a king and I don't like the ridge that is present in the middle due to loss of loft and where the box springs meet in the middle making it more firm there where no one sleeps and doesn't get 'broken down'. I wake up after only 4 hours of sleep with an aching in my left side and hip.
Here's the list of questions for you based on what I've read so far.
#1. Can I get soft latex foam topper to get by with for the next year until I've lost the weight I'd like and can buy a mattress that I won't have to worry about to carry my weight? If so, what depth? 1-2-3"?
#2. Assuming that I can't do the topper alone, based on what I've read so far you recommend 2 mattress sets quite frequently. Simmons Black Ava luxury firm (adding a latex topper) and the Simmons Black Alexia Extra Firm, also adding a topper. Which of these 2 sets would be best for me?
#3. Now to throw another option out there, I've considered the queen set in order to avoid that ridge in the middle that seems to appear eventually in a king. However, my other thought is go with the king it's only $500 avg. more than the queen and I already have the King head/foot board. Doing so I thought that I could just use my side of the bed and then (his). I know the mattresses aren't suppose to need flipping, but how about rotating? Is there anything different support wise if I rotated either of the above mentioned mattress head to toe? If I can that would increase the longevity of my investment.
Thanks for any and all advice. ~KH

Hi KH,
Lots of options, I see.
Well, You should rotate your mattress. The more frequently you do it, the more evenly it will wear.
Since you will be getting a firm mattress and a latex topper, it does make sense to get the topper first, if it will help you to put off the purchase of the mattress. Given your particular set of circumstances, I'd suggest the 2" Medium Talalay Latex foam mattress topper.

Latex Foam Mattress Topper
Latex Foam Mattress Topper

If you are going to change sizes to a queen, then get the topper in queen and lay it across your king mattress. It will take up so much of the mattress, only your feet will know that it isn't there.

If you are dieting and putting off the purchase of the mattress, let's see what your weight is at the time you're ready to buy.
However, today, I would have you go with the Simmopns Beautyrest Black Alexia extra firm...shown here:
Simmons Black Alexia Extra Firm Mattress
Simmons Black Alexia Extra Firm


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments