Use Latex Foam to Re-upholster a Comfortaire Mattress.

Kathleen writes:

Hello,
I read through your blog and I am confused about which topper will help me or if I need a new mattress too.
I have a Geovista air bed from Comfortaire, bought in 2003. This used to work great for my back problems but now I wake up early in pain and toss and turn. 
I think the foam is shot? It only has a 4" bladder, so maybe that is the issue, too. 
The foam is 3" thick and fits inside the "walls" of the mattress, so it's about 51" across.
I am 5'9" and 140 pounds. No other sleepers.
I have pain from my right SI joint that radiates out to my right hip. I cannot sleep on my back at all. 
I used to be able to sleep on my left side for most of the night, but now it hurts too. I feel the pressure of the bed pushing up, and it's agonizing. 
Playing around with the air levels has not helped.
I bought a memory foam topper last year, but that didn't help either.
Thank you for your recommendations.
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
The memory foam topper you bought is worthless. Memory foam softens as it warms from your body's heat, allowing you to sink through it as if it wasn't there.
Latex, on the other hand, is not temperature Sensitive and will not change feel as the temperature changes.
Unless there is something wrong with the working structure of your mattress, it's a good bet that your foam is shot. 
Memory foam wears out quickly and synthetic latex is less resilient than all-natural latex with no fillers.
In today's market, with mattresses in general, needing a latex topper for long lasting comfort and longevity...it makes sense to start with the latex topper.
You may fine that you don't need a new mattress and if you do, you'll already have the latex topper.
In replacing the foam inside, you will need to use 3". I worry that 3" of soft latex will make it too soft.
My recommendation for comfort and support, is to use a 1.5" Dunlop and a 1.5" soft Talalay.
This combination provides soft long lasting comfort from the Talalay and long lasting support from the Dunlop.

The toppers come in queen as 60" x 80", and in Full as 54" x 75".
My guess is that the full will fit better with only a little trimming involved.

Latex Mattress Topper



Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments