Mattress advice. Is a Latex Topper enough for now?‏

Patrick writes:

Good morning!
I was hoping to get some advice regarding a future purchase. My wife went away on a business trip and, this might sound bad, but I noticed that I get a WAY better nights sleep when she's gone. She is a restless sleeper so I think we are having motion transfer problems that need to be addressed. I've been going through your site and have been learning many useful things.

Regarding our current sleep system, we have a 12 year old California king Simmons Beautyrest, I don't know the specific type. It has no fancy pads on top or anything like that, it's just the mattress. What's the industry term for that- "neat", or "clean" or something like that? I can get the model number off the tag if needed, the big Beautyrest label didn't have any specific name designations on it or anything. My wife is slender and 5'7" and I'm 175 Lbs, 6'0". We both are stomach and side sleepers. I like our bed, it's not bad at all really. I just find that I am fatigued in the mornings like I haven't gotten a good nights sleep, I suspect it's because of my wife's restlessness. I wonder if we really need a new mattress or if there is another solution? I don't know how to address this and I don't really trust the local shops as they are all the "radio shops" that advertise heavily. They've put all of the mom & pop shops out of business around here. If I go to them, OF COURSE I will need a new setup.

Now, my parents have a Simmons Beautyrest Black that I looked at the other day. It's nice. Of course it is it's the top of the line, so I know what those feel like. I know that the Beautyrest that we have is a good quality bed, too and might still have a lot of life left. I read through the section on the website on motion transfer and in the first post you recommended a Beautyrest World Class Annapolis and a latex mattress topper. Perhaps this is the direction we should head in?

One thought I had would be to buy the topper first, try IT out and if we still feel the mattress needs to go (which I've already said I'm not really sure if it needs to be replaced); then we can look into one of the World Class Annapolis' if we do want to get a new mattress. Does this sound like a good idea? 

At the age of our current mattress should we be looking to upgrade or replace anyways? And lastly, if we bought the topper first could the topper be swapped from the old bed to the new bed or would it get "broken in" to the old bed, warranting a new topper?

Thanks for the help and information, your website has been a valuable tool. I appreciate the honesty. Have a great week!
Patrick


Hi Patrick,
You are right on the mark...on all counts.
The Annapolis Place luxury firm with a 2" soft latex topper is exactly what I would recommend for your sizes and situation. Btw, "tight top" is the industry term for a mattress without a pillowtop.
And since your mattress is still in good shape, getting the topper first, could very well put off your need to buy the mattress...possibly for a good number of years.
The latex toppers take a long time to wear out. My wife and I are much larger people than the two of you and that same topper we are using is 5 years old and in like new condition. So yes, you will be using it on the next mattress you eventually buy...be it sooner or later. The latex topper will aid in reducing motion transfer. It will also cause you wife to toss and turn less, as it relieves the pressure points of the body and relaxes the muscles. This is the common sense approach to solving your problem.
Here is the link to the latex topper that is most effective. You can order it on line. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

Latex Mattress Topper




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 (PST Hours 9am to 5pm, Daily)
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Featuring: Simmons Beautyrest, Pure Bliss & EverEden Latex Mattresses, All-Natural Latex Toppers
All Brand New, Factory Fresh to You.

Comments