Elderly Mother sleeping in a chair. Mattress Recommendation?

Mary writes:


Hi Pete,
It seems like this is a stupid question, but I need to ask it,nonetheless. My elderly mother (87) has many pain issues related to arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and really could use hip replacement on her right side due to her many problems. She says she's is uncomfortable laying flat, so she has been sleeping, but not very restfully, in a recliner that she also spends the majority of her day in. She is still able to walk, but only with the help of a walker or Rollator. She has finally decided to try an adjustable bed, and I am usually entrusted to find her major purchases, which can be a curse if I don't have the necessary information to make an informed decision. Would you possibly be willing to walk me through exactly what I need to outfit her with what I hope will be an appropriate and comfortable choice for an adjustable bed? I have noticed in the pictures on your website that there is both a mattress and foundation on top of the adjustable base, but I was unable to determine whether the foundation is included in the base purchase, or whether I need to buy it with the mattress as a set. Also, I had written to you in the past, and have really enjoyed my Sealy Beachside latex set that you recommended, the only issue I have with it is that I tend to sleep a bit warm, but I attribute that mostly to my age--so thanks for that. What would be a reasonably-priced latex you could recommend for a person with her problems? Thanks again for the help you provide. Mary


Hi Mary,
I, too, have a mother the same age and with very similar mobility issues...and pain. She finds it difficult to get into and out of a bed. She can't lie flat and getting into and out of an adjustable bed would be more difficult than doing so in a flat bed.
As we age, we become less flexible. I notice the difference at our ages, compared to just 10 years ago. I've watched my mother and over the last 5 years, mobility for her has decreased dramatically. There's no question that she isn't going to get any stronger.
There is no benefit to her to force her to lie down when sitting in a chair is more comfortable...although, not ideal.
The best we can do is to make life as easy and as comfortable as possible.
My mother lives with my sister, who recently got her a power reclining/lift chair. This makes reclining for sleep and standing fairly effortless....at the push of a button.
She can get up to go to the bathroom by herself and to the kitchen for a snack. 
She has a day nurse that comes 3 times a week to exercise her limbs. Otherwise, physical therapy is more painful than helpful.
If you would like to make the chair more comfortable, add a layer of latex. I would suggest 1.5" of Dunlop Latex for that purpose. You'll order that in twin size, but you'll have to cut it to fit the chair...easy enough to do with a strong pair of scissors.
Here is the link to the latex. You can order on line or by phone. UPS delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

Latex Mattress Topper




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 (PST Hours 9am to 5pm, Daily)
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Featuring: Simmons Beautyrest, Pure Bliss & EverEden Latex Mattresses, All-Natural Latex Toppers
All Brand New, Factory Fresh to You.

Comments