A firm Simmons World Class Beautyrest mattress with a soft latex topper for large people.

Sharron writes:

My husband and I are on the mattress hunt! He and I like different levels of comfort though. He wants a firm mattress with slight cushion and I like a firm mattress with quite a bit of cushion. We've been to several different stores and tried out several different mattresses. We found a few that we like but I'm a researcher and wanted to come home to read reviews and find the right price which led me to your website. And, now I'm confused!  
I'd like something that will last and I read on your website that getting the firmest mattress and adding a latex mattress topper is the best route to go. I'm afraid of the toppers though because my husband absolutely hates a pillowtop mattress. He doesn't like to feel like he's sleeping in a pile of goo and he gets very hot. My husband is 5'11' 240 pounds and I'm 5'5" 180 pounds. I'm 38 and he's 45. We currently have a 6 year old Sealy posturepedic that has a significant sag that we are hoping to get replaced under warranty. We have the owner of a local furniture store coming to inspect it sometime this week. His store only carries Simmons and a I think some memory foam mattresses. But we do not want a memory foam mattress. At his store, my husband and I both liked the Simmons Beautyrest Classics in Luxury Firm. Depending on how the guy handles us with the warranty will help us decide if we purchase from him or not. 
So, my questions for you:
Do you think the mattresses we have picked out will be suitable for us?  
Are there some other mattresses you think we should try out before we make our final decision?  
Also, if I purchase a latex foam topper to try on our current mattress, will it give us a good idea on how a new mattress would feel with a topper? Before I go the route of a super firm mattress with an added topper, I'd like to try out a topper first. The store that we bought our original mattress charges a 20% re-stocking fee and only a 10 day trial period. So, I'd hate to purchase the mattress made of cement and end up hating the feel of a topper.
Thank you for your help, Sharron.

 
 
Hi Sharron,
Any of the luxury firm choices of comfort are better than the plush...the tight tops better than the pillowtops. However, almost all of the Beautyrests have a nice amount of memory foam...which is completely different than the memory foam you described as not being suitable for your husband. Those two types of memory foam are like night and day.
A 240 pound man on a budget will not get you the kind of longevity you think you will find.
Places like that big chain store,  are among the highest prices stores in the country. Somebody has to pay for all that advertising, and that someone is you.
The two you chose are ok, but they aren't suitable for people of your sizes.
The latex topper will last a long time and extend the life of the mattress. It will not feel the same on a new Beautyrest as it will on your sagging Posturepedic.
At your sizes, you should be looking at no less than a World Class model. The Annapolis place in firm is the mattress I would choose for you, keep your budget in mind.
Add to that a 2" soft Talalay Latex topper for the comfort and longevity you're looking for.
Here are links to both. You can order on line. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

http://www.themattressexpert.com/XcartStore/product.php?productid=17828&cat=308&page=1

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Annapolis Place, Firm



Latex Mattress Topper



Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 (PST Hours 9am to 5pm, Daily)
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Featuring: Simmons Beautyrest, Pure Bliss & EverEden Latex Mattresses, All-Natural Latex Toppers
All Brand New, Factory Fresh to You.

Comments