Latex Mattress or Extra Firm Simmons Beautyrest with a Latex Topper

Jeff writes:

Hi,
Over the past 10 years we've gone through 4 mattresses. Air, normal firmish x2, ultra poof pillow top - they all start sagging in a while. I am pretty sensitive to this, either my back muscles or lower back discs start acting up once the impressions get deep enough, and the quality of my sleep suffers, and I have pain during the day due to it. My current ultra poof is killing me.
So, time to buy a new King mattress, I hope we'll pick a winner this time. I am 6 foot 240 lbs. My wife is 5'6", 160 lbs. I am a side sleeper, my wife is most positions. My lower back is wonky.
What I would really like is to get a good quality mattress with very little or at least high quality padding that is not going to turn to crap in a year. My thought is to get something with strong coils, little padding, and put a latex topper on it. 2 sided would be great but not necessary if I can get 5 years out of it without loosing support.
I am also okay with a 3 year replacement cycle if the price is right. For a spring mattress and foundation I'd like to keep it under $2k. A latex mattress would be an option if I can keep it around 3k or less.
BTW, I have recently slept at the same hotel a couple of times, the bed was a Simmons westbury II plush. I did not wake up with my back feeling like crap. Sleep was not spectacular but I think I can blame that on a new bed and other hotel variables such as noise and room temp.
Any opinions on what to get?
If I buy a good latex mattress, how long should it last without sagging?
Thank you very much for your input. Your blog is very helpful.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
The over-all quality of mattresses has dropped dramatically over the past 10 years, not coincidentally, since they became one-sided.
Your thought, as to how to get around this, is sound.
The mattress will need to be firm and strong, to support a big man. Your wife, while 80 pounds lighter, is even more likely to make a dent in a mattress at the hip...where so many women carry much of their weight. 
You will need to rely on the latex topper for the comfort.
There are latex mattresses and there are latex mattresses...all, not being equal.
The best of them is a bit over your stated price range, shown here:

http://www.themattressexpert.com/XcartStore/product.php?productid=17765&cat=268&page=1


A best buy extra firm innerspring and topper combo, that will do the job, are shown here:
http://themattressexpert.com/mattress-brands/simmons/beautyrest-recharge-world-class/simmons-beautyrest-recharge-world-class-dartmouth-drive-ultimate-firm/

http://themattressexpert.com/latextoppers/




This Simmons Beautyrest World Class mattress will be on sale from 2/7 to 2/20...pay the mattress only price and the boxspring is free.
I'd suggest opting for the "medium" feel for the latex topper...given your size and the bad back.

Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894 (PST Hours 9am to 5pm, Daily)
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

FEATURING: The #1 Selling Brand in the USA...Beautyrest by Simmons

Pure, 100% All-Natural, Talalay & Dunlop Latex Mattress Products

                        

               
Also Featuring High Quality Sheets from Dream Fit...Guaranteed to fit and Guaranteed to Stay On
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

Comments