Allergies to chemicals used in mattresses, dust mites

Loralyn writes:


I have been dealing with some health issues and as a result have developed an allergy to dust mites. I have a 14 yr old Sealy bed that is still very comfortable, but is the main source of my allergy. I only react in the bed. I have new pillows, dust mite covers and no feathers, so everything else has been eliminated. It is definitely dust mites. I'm looking for a reasonably priced mattress in a med or soft. I've been looking at the Contour Collection Naomi, but find that the springs make a bit of noise and so suspect that could be a problem. The organic cotton is a draw for me though. I just looked at a Sealy Optimum Posturepedic Joyful today and it was very comfortable. I don't typically have chemical allergies, but know that I might be more sensitive than usual due to my health issues and have concerns about the memory foam and any coatings that may be on the mattress. 
Can you advise? What is your opinion of those 2 mattresses or do you suggest any others. 
Thanks. Loralyn


Hi Loralyn, 
Even though you have a dust mite cover, that only prevents them from entering the mattress and it protects you from those that are already inside.
Dust mites, on the other hand, are everywhere. They collect on the surface of the mattress where they feed off of the dead skin cells you shed every night.
To minimize their numbers, change your linens frequently and while you have your bed striped, vacuum the top of your mattress.
A new mattress won't change this....especially not the one with cotton, where dust mites like to breed. 
I'm not a fan of memory foam because so many people react negatively to the off-gassing of the toxic chemicals used to make it.
You could, very well, worsen you situation.
It seems silly to me, to buy a new mattress when you have one that is still very comfortable.
The difference in the quality of today's mattresses, compared to 14 years ago, is like night and day. You are likely to be sorely disappointed in the result.
Try doing what I suggest before considering buying new.




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments