A mattress for plus sized people, Hip and Knee pain, Simmons Black w/ Latex Topper

Michele writes:

Hi, 
My husband and I are plus sized people, who are in need of some bedding advice, due to some health issues, and limitations. My husband has had 2 hip replacements, and one knee replacement. He is handicapped, and walks with a walker. He also gets swelling in his legs, and has some severe leg discoloration due to a circulatory problem. I am needing to have a hip replaced, and I have terrible lower back pain, especially when rising in the morning. When first waking up, I am very stiff, and can not straighten up completely, due to the lower back pain. I usually have to walk hunched over for awhile, as the pain is really bad. Eventually I can stand up, but the nagging pain remains. We are looking to buy an adjustable bed, and the proper mattresses for our issues. We also wanted to know if heat or massage would help in any way? Thank you for your help and advice, Michele

Hi Michele,
Please...Tell me what you can, about the mattress you currently have.

Hi Pete, 
Thank you for responding. We currently have a very old Sterns and Foster, with coil springs. It is a king size. and was a very expensive and  top of the line mattress when we purchased many, many , moons ago. We purchased the box springs that went with the set as well. Appearance wise, the bed looks beautiful, as I always kept a mattress pad on both the top mattress and both box springs as well. The bed is lots of  years old, and has become very uncomfortable. Sometimes, I think I can  actually feel the springs, and the support of course is terrible. Aging has not helped, but some things just can't be helped..LOL.  We really need to do something about this situation, as sleeping is next to impossible, especially for me. I tried to do some research, but there is so much out there, one does not know, what would be right for all the aches and pains, comfort, and durability, especially with us being larger people. Thank you so much for your help, insight, and advice. Will be waiting for your recommendations, and expertise, Michele.

Hi Michele,
Quite a lot has changed for the worst, over the past ten years.
When you say, "plus size", what are we looking at...height and weight?

Hi Pete, 
My husband is around 300 lbs, and I am around 245. As I said this is a tough one, and hopefully, there is something that we can purchase. I am 5'7" and he is 6'. and  as I stated we are both falling apart like Humpty Dumpty....I try to at least hold on to my humor....Will be looking for your reply, and have a great day...Michele


Hi Michelle,
As you can imagine, this process is a lot easier for light weights...much more to choose from that will hold up. For you guys, the choices are limited.
Unlike you current mattress, mattresses today are one sided...half the mattress you used to be able to buy. The industry wants to sell you more frequently than in years past.
The materials used to make mattresses comfortable are cheap and compress easily.
Finding a comfortable mattress that holds up, is difficult at average body weight.
Latex has been the most resilient material available for nearly 100 years.
We find that adding a layer of soft latex to a firm mattress provides both, support and comfort that lasts...even under heavy weight.
The strongest mattress on the market today is the Simmons Black, using a triple strand wire coil.


Simmons Beautyrest Black Abriana Extra Firm

Simmons Beautyrest Black Abriana Extra Firm

The latex topper, shown here:

All-Natural Talalay Latex Mattress Topper


This will do it for you for many years. Rotate the mattress every month to maximize its life.


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Also Featuring High Quality Sheets from Dream Fit...Guaranteed to fit and Guaranteed to Stay On





Comments