A Mattress for Herniated Disc, a Firm Simmons Beautyrest

Jose writes:

Dear Pete,
I've read up on some of the blog on herniated disks but wanted to ask a few specifics.  I never gave much though to mattresses before I turned 35 and therefore went for comfort not understanding what plush beds could do to your back.  About 7 years ago I injured my back and a disc herniation.  I am an active 42 year old 5'11 205lbs and my wife is 5'5 140lb.  We are currently in our 4th year of owning a Simmons Beauty Rest with a 2" pillow top...i'm not sure of the specific model.   The mattress, on my side, has my body shape completely indented into it and with my back flaring up I haven't been able to sleep comfortably in a long time...sometimes not at all.  My wife enjoys a comfort feel but is willing to sacrifice a little for my wellbeing.  I've seen you recommend the Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Annapolis Place in luxury firm with the latex topper but I am open to anything and have a flexible budget.  I was thinking of going with the medium topper just to be safe!  Do you recommend periodically rotating the bed to lessen the wear on a particular side? How long should these mattresses last?  and how long should the toppers last before replacing?  Is there anywhere my wife can try out a firm mattress with a latex topper?
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Jose in Miami

Hello Jose,
Latex is a superior product to anything else used to upholster a mattress.
Your pillowtop is filled with polyurethane foam and likely has some memory foam.
If you bought the plush pillowtop, the gauge of wire is thinner too.
There's no need to second the recommendation....except for the Simmons Black Ansleigh in luxury firm. But at your weights, the extra expense of the Ansleigh isn't necessary.  For the firm support you need and the comfort she wants, the soft latex topper is the one to get with a Annapolis Place Luxury Firm mattress.
Here are links to both mattresses, and the latex toppers.

Regular rotating of a mattress will help it to wear more evenly...and be more comfortable longer. 

Simmons Beautyrest Recharge World Class Annapolis Place in Luxury Firm 


Simmons Beautyrest Black Ansleigh Luxury Firm



All-Natural Latex Mattress Toppers


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments