My Simmons Pillow Top Mattress is Leaning

Nick writes:

Hello, 
I fortunately came about your blog at a very good time. I need help! 
My wife and I are in Canada, and up until about 4 years ago, we had a very healthy relationship with our Simmons pillow top mattress. I have severe hyper mobility and the mattress we currently have, a king sized imperial model, is the only one I've found that offers any comfort for me, anything less plush and I am in agony the next morning. 
That said, this is our second bed in a row that has caused us problems. As with the subject, I am guessing it's clear that our bed has a significant lean to it. When we had our original world class mattress replaced in about 2008 or so due to a non removable stain had that mattress for a few years at that time), the mattress that came in its place was nice, but unfortunately within a few years, it developed a severe slope/lean, making it feel like I was rolling into the center of the bed.
We figured it was just a problem with that specific mattress, so we upgraded. When we replaced the mattress, we paid to upgrade it to a higher model, the imperial. We figured this would be the last mattress we'd own for a long time. This was just under 2 months ago. It's a mattress that is even touted as having a special foam edge support for people who like sitting on the edge of the bed. Perfect, right?
No. Unfortunately not perfect at all.
In that span of 2 months and a few rotations, we have another leaning tower of mattress. One side it bulges, the other side bulges and leans. We have an inspector coming out to review the bed, but they have been incredibly useless with regards to our concerns that this is the second time this has happened in as many mattresses. They say this is an issue they never hear of and can't suggest anything, which is why I am here, asking for some help from the bed guru!
Now, to explain a bit about our situation, my wife and I are not small people and we generally share the bed with our daughters (we have twins and we sport a bit of a Little House on the Prarie bed sharing style when they crawl in at about 2 or 3 in the morning) so the bed probably houses a total of 750 lbs between the 4 of us... Not small.
But this wasn't an issue previously on our other mattress, and the weight difference wasn't that much smaller.
So I'm at a loss. Do I just have them replace this mattress with the same model? We are limited in our budget, as we cannot spend more (the retail on this mattress is about $3500 cdn, we ended up buying a high quality clearance bed initially and we have definitely seen an upswing in our investment!) and also we are limited by the brands and models carried by Sleep Country. Outside of that, the issues I have are my severe hyper mobility and the concern about the heat if we were to even consider a memory foam bed, not for me but my wife gets very, very hot.
Any help you can provide would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Nick



Hi Nick, 
The problem might be in the way you are using the mattress.
The foam edge support helps with stability and edge sleeping, but is NOT made for sitting.
Since you were told the opposite and if you are using that edge to sit on, it would be the pressure from your weight causing the mattress to lean.
Leaning happens, generally, for two reasons...the one I just mentioned and the other from being stored on its edge too long. The second usually results in the mattress being delivered that way, rather than a later development.
A Simmons Beautyrest uses an individually pocketed coil system. The tops of the coils are not tied together, which makes this leaning thing something that has happened regularly with that type of mattress.





Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

               
Also Featuring High Quality Sheets from Dream Fit...Guaranteed to fit and Guaranteed to Stay On

Comments