3" Soft Talalay Latex Mattress Topper

Barbara writes:


Hi Pete,
I had written to you several months ago when I started my mattress shopping odyssey – (quick refresher: small petite woman, 95 lbs, with long standing sciatica, hip problems and scoliosis)
We discussed the recommendation of a luxury firm mattress (S&F) with topper and I did purchase at local company – unfortunately, it did not work out (their mattresses were all sagging in the middle) and after much anxiety and several exchanges, I was able to get a partial refund and start over.  The mattress topper we did purchase from you is great and works wonders on my Dad’s mattress – however, I am still trying to find the right combo for myself.
You had advised that slim women are the hardest ones to find the right mattresses for, and I see what you mean now. :(
I started over with another local store that carries Simmons and tested the Lumberton Luxury Firm (which you usually recommend for spare bedrooms and kids) as well as the next one up, the Flatbrook Firm. I still intend to purchase another topper from you and was trying to figure out which of these two would cushion me enough from the firm layers which I definitely feel and could not sleep on directly, anyway. I ended up choosing the Flatbrook, which actually felt a little more cushiony in the store. I know it has a small amt of memory foam in it.  Well, the one that was delivered was MUCH MORE FIRM than the floor model – it is like sleeping on the floor – I have even put my Dad’s 2” soft topper on it and I sink right into the hard layers beneath. (It works so well on my Dad’s bed, but not with this one – I was so surprised)
I then re-checked the specs on the retailer’s info and discovered that I did not buy the luxury firm Flatbrook (which I had thought), but their Firm is actually Simmons’ EXTRA FIRM. It has the 1” of Energy Foam in the comfort layers, as opposed to the Flatbrook luxury firm which has 2” of Plush Comfort Foam.
No wonder I am in pain  – this is actually an extra firm mattress. There is no “give” to this mattress whatsoever.  I’ve been putting pillows under my knees and under my back to simulate extra cushioning.
However, I believe the Simmons are well made.
I do have a 45 day comfort exchange which I have to start the process for this week.
Here are my exchange options, which I would really like your opinion on, so I could then buy the right topper from you. (My Dad wants his back  :-)
- Re-evaluate the Lumberton Luxury Firm, which did feel pretty hard and hope that the 2” topper works, and if not go to the 3”topper? Or based on what I’ve reported, is this still too firm for me?
Also is the soft topper the reason why I am sinking and should I consider medium? The Lumberton has only Energy Foam, which I guess is the same foam I have now, so it is harder? I’m afraid of still hitting the hard layers.....
-Flatbrook Luxury Firm (the store calls it Plush, but I confirmed all the specs/layers and they definitely match Luxury Firm and it has the 13.75 Gauge coils, not the 15.5) with 2” topper. So it is not the Simmons Plush that others sell. What is your opinion of the “2” Plush Comfort Foam” that Simmons uses – perhaps this will make the difference in pressure relief? Would your 2”topper work well with this mattress?
Given my history and obvious sensitivity to the hard layers below, it appears that I need more “distance” between my spine and the support layers.  I just want to replicate that lovely “floating” feeling that I have when your topper is on the “right” mattress.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much,
Barbara

Hi Barbara,
The Lumberton and the Flatbrook are, basically, the same. The Flatbrook has more padding, which will be a plus for you. The Flatbrook Luxury Firm is the one to get.
Make sure it is not a plush.
Add to that a 3" soft Talalay Topper and you will be supported and floating...just like you want.
Here's the link to the topper.




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments