Kingsdown plush queen mattress, too soft for degenerative disc disease

Allison writes:


I am a 150lb, 43 year old woman and was diagnosed last year with degenerative disc disease in my lower back. Prior to this diagnosis I was very active, including doing interval training at the gym 4-5 days a week. 
I currently own a Kingsdown plush queen mattress which is about 7 years old. My partner is moving in and she has a 20 year old very firm mattress - and although quite old, the mattress itself appears to be in great condition. My mattress feels too soft and hers is too firm. I think we'll be keeping her mattress (a new mattress just isn't in the budget) and I'd like to get a latex topper but am unsure what type to get. I suffer from low back pain on both mattresses (the firm mattress has an "egg crate" pad which helps a little. I find that I'm ok in a position for a little while, then my back starts to ache and by morning I can't find a comfortable position at all.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely, Allison


Hi Allison,
What works for most, is the 2" soft Talalay latex topper....providing a comfortable sleeping surface without being too soft, like you Kingsdown was. Only the surface is softened and the firm mattress you're using with it will provide the firm support your back needs.
We use that at home with our mattress. It's a whole lot more comfortable and resilient than a poly foam or memory foam type.
I agree with your decision to use the firm, your discs will degenerate further and quicker on a soft mattress. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that your Kingsdown mattress was the cause of your disc problems.
Here's the link to the latex toppers. 




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments