Janet writes:
Hi TME,
I’ve had a Tempur-Pedic mattress for about 4 years now, and I hate it.
I have chronic neck injuries and 2 herniated discs in my back from a car accident, that I believe are exacerbating my mattress discomfort, after having read some of your blog posts.
I have tried (not kidding) literally 100 different pillows and none of them have given me relief. I’ve been waking up every morning with a very sore neck, a bad headache and numbness in my hands and arms.
We were just on a 3- week vacation, and I haven’t slept that good in soooo long. Zero pain, no numbness, etc.
I’ve already taken steps and ordered the PureBliss Talalay Latex Pillows that I’ve seen you’ve recommended to others.
A neurosurgeon said surgery might be needed, because after years of trying so many things like physical therapy, it’s just not getting better. Realistically, I can’t do surgery right now with 2 young kids. So I’m just pushing through it the best that I can until my daughters are a little more independent.
I’m hoping you can help me figure out what I need to get some sleep relief.
I weigh about 120lbs.
I’m hoping that maybe a mattress topper and a good pillow will do the trick, at least until the end of my mattress’s life. If a new mattress is the best way to tackle this, I’m ok with that too.
I’d be very grateful for any advice you could give me.
Thank you, Janet
Hi Janet,
A latex topper often solves the problem you’re having with your mattress.
Memory foam is temperature sensitive and softens as it warms from absorbing your body’s heat…which then allows your body to sink, which throws off the natural alignment of your spine, which interferes with blood flow.
This is what is causing the numbness in your arms.
Latex doesn’t do that and a latex topper will create a barrier between you and the memory foam in your mattress.
However, after 4 years, the memory foam may have lost support.
We find that flipping the mattress over to the non-memory foam side before adding the topper provides better support…adding many more years of life to your mattress.
There’s another factor to consider.
An all foam mattress doesn’t provide the pushback support needed for those who suffer with spinal damage, such as herniated and/or bulging discs, and degenerative disc disease (DDD).
Sometimes these conditions are not diagnosed, but often are common with age.
These conditions require an innerspring mattress for proper support.
Even so, a latex topper will benefit you, as it greatly extends the life of any mattress. So, you might as well start with the topper, as it is far less expensive than a new mattress and won’t be a wasted purchase, even if you do need a new mattress…which you may not need, given your body weight and that the flip side of your mattress is considerably firmer than the top side.
At home, we’ve used different types of latex toppers over the decades.
Most recently, we’re using one from Latex for Less.
Traditionally, Talalay latex is softer, but less durable than Dunlop latex.
However pure Talalay is extremely expensive. But pure Dunlop has become much more reasonably priced since the end of the pandemic.
We’ve found that 3” of soft Dunlop is almost as comfortable as 3” of soft Talalay at a fraction of the price.
Here’s a link to the Latex for Less pure Dunlop.
I recommend getting the organic cotton cover to go with them…priced separately.
Latex for Less Pure, Organic Latex Mattress Toppers
The latex in these toppers is pure, organic and hypoallergenic latex from Sri-Lanka…not made in China, where they mix their latex with clay and sell it as all natural. Chinese made latex, which comes from Malaysia, doesn’t last for more than a year. Pure Sri-Lankan latex lasts for many years.
Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
Thanks, TME
Questions?
TME Website: https://themattressexpert.com/
Delivery is Always Free
Online Ordering is Easy & Secure.
Visa, M/C, Discover, Amex
Financing Available
Follow us on Facebook & Instagram


Comments
Post a Comment