Sleeping Hot on Serta and Stearns and Foster Mattresses.

Lisa writes: 

Hi Pete,

I found your blog and I am looking for advice on what to do next with a mattress, with which I'm unhappy.
I have a California king rice bed and slept on the firm mattress purchased with that for over 30 years. 
Last fall I decided to try a memory foam bed. 
I bought a Serta hybrid and soon noticed I was waking up hot at night. 
I was able to exchange that for a Stearns & Foster Hurston plush with coils-- but I'm still sleeping hot and now have a hump in the middle of my bed.

I don't want to get rid of my rice bed and start over, as my boyfriend suggests. 
But I've never been so fretted by comfort at night and am ready to ditch this mattress for a foamless option.

BTW, my bed has metal rails that I think I can widen to king-- but don't know that I can shorten. 
I'd prefer to stay with California king but realize that's more of a challenge on the East Coast. 
I'm using the box springs that came with the Serta hybrid.

I would sure appreciate any suggestions you have for a cool sleep with the bed frame I have.
Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Both, the premature wear of the S&F and the sleep hot thing, are caused by the memory foam upholstery in both mattresses.
Memory foam is the only upholstery material that is temperature sensitive.
As the memory foam warms from your body heat it softens and reflects your body heat back to you.

Before buying anything, flip your one sided mattress over.
The memory foam will then be at the bottom of the mattress, where it can no longer react to your body heat.
The flip side of the mattress will be considerably firmer.
For the first couple of nights, use what you have handy to soften it…like a comforter.
Use anything that has no memory foam in it.
If you’re happy with the results, in terms of temperature and support, then order a 2” or 3” Soft Organic Latex Topper for long term comfort.
Here is a link to those Suite Sleep brand of latex toppers.


Shipping is free and there’s no sales tax.

It isn’t likely that you need a new mattress, just now.
When the time comes to buy a new mattress, all you need remember is to buy one with no memory foam in it.
Despite all the advertising and sales hype to the contrary, memory foam is the absolute worst upholstery material ever invented…and for more reasons than because of the problems you’ve experienced.


Thanks, Pete

VERY IMPORTANT:
Keeping your mattress clean and dry will increase its longevity.
We recommend our Organic Cotton Waterproof Mattress Protector. 

Website: http://themattressexpert.com/

Email: pete.themattressexpert@gmail.com

Phone: 1-856-874-6894 


Free Delivery...Factory Direct.

All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order

Serving The US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments