A Mattress For a Big Man with a CPAP and Acid Reflux.

Kevin writes:

Hi Pete,
I'm getting myself lost in the maze of internet mattress options and I'm done with the retail stores. 
I'm a big man, 44, 6' tall, male weighing around 270. Sleep alone--well with two Schnauzers, but they don't get a vote.
I love to sleep on my side, but my cpap (recently diagnosed and getting accustomed) confines me to my back, which is fine.  
I want to get an adjustable bed to incline head (acid reflux) and feet (some swelling).  Also, I'm concerned with VOC off-gassing. 

I've owned a Simmons Beautyrest hotel bed for 10 years and I've been happy with it.
The only problem is after 7+ hours on my back, I wake with some mild lower-back aching/tightness.  
I went to Sleep Number and learned that I do not want air or memory foam, so they're out. 
I experienced low back discomfort on their firm setting, but it went away at lower air pressure. 
They said my sleep number was 45. It was initially comfortable, but I couldn't get out of the bed!  
I looked at many local stores for plush models. 
Now, I'm learning that for my size, I need a firm or extra firm support. So I need help.
I'd consider another Beautyrest, however, I'd prefer to get something organic, or at least something low-voc. 
And, a mattress compatible for an adjustable base. 
What do you recommend?
Thanks, Kevin
 
Hi Kevin,
First off, I'd like to talk you out of getting an adjustable bed base.
While being able to raise you head will help with your breathing, it will create two new problems.
With your body bent, your back will suffer from not being properly aligned.
With the head raised, your body weight goes from being evenly distributed across the face of the mattress to being concentrated to that point in the mattress just under your butt. At your weight, the mattress will develop a hole in that spot within a very short time.

There are two other options. One is expensive and one is cheap. Both will work well.
1) An adjustable bed frame with a "Tilt" feature. This keeps the bed flat, while tilting your body.
Like the one shown here:

2) Bed Risers allow you to prop up the head of the bed, creating the same tilt as the bed base shown above.
You can get them online or at Big Lots.
Shown here:

Either way, your body will be tilted up and you'll breathe easier...and may not need the cpap...which will allow you to sleep on your side.

*************

There are two good mattress options for support, comfort and longevity under a big man.
All Latex is the most durable, but is not a good choice for supporting disc related back problems. No all foam mattress is.
If your lower back pain is caused by muscle strain, all latex is ideal.
Like these Natura of Canada Natural Latex Mattresses:
https://themattressexpert.com/natura-latex-level-2-mattress/

But, given you years, size and complaints, I suspect that your back problems are disc related.
For that scenario, a good quality innerspring mattress with natural latex upholstery will work much better.
My wife and I are, each, in the 225 lb. range. And, with me having lots of disc related back problems.
One of these Natura of Canada Greenspring Mattresses, we have at home....still like new after the 4 years we've had it....and without back pain.

These mattresses come with White Glove Delivery, which includes set-up in your bedroom and removal of your old mattress.
Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Protect and maximize your mattress investment. Use a waterproof mattress protector.


Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments