Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattresses Causing Back Pain.

Tom writes:

Hi Pete,
I am a 77 year old man, and I weigh 210 lbs.
I have a slight hernia and had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, when I went to the ER with chest pain.
I don't have joint pain so I am not sure if that diagnosis is correct. I sleep alone on a Queen mattress. 

I have purchased two different mattresses in the past 2 months, hoping to alleviate back pain, but have had no luck. 
I am in the process of returning the 2nd one. The first one was a Serta Perfect Sleeper Luxury Hybrid Glenmoor Super Pillow Top Mattress from Sam's Club. 
I bought the mattress only as I have the adjustable platform. 
It felt great in the store and for the first night or two, but I soon felt like there was a dip where I was laying and I could roll up onto the center.

I returned it and bought the firmest mattress that I could find at Sears. It is a Serta Perfect Sleeper Hanwell Extra Firm Queen Mattress. 
Again, I bought only the mattress because I have the adjustable headboard and this is an adjustable mattress. 
I am experiencing back pain with this mattress also. I feel like I am sinking into a dip again and I wake up in pain.

My gut instinct is that I need whatever I was sleeping on 15 years ago - what I would call a mattress with springs. 
I am also wondering if the adjustable beds are worse support wise as the have to be flexible. 
I do not care about the mattress being adjustable, at this point. I just need relief for the back pain. 
My other question is, does it matter if I use the adjustable base as foundation instead of box springs? 
Thanks for your help. 
Tom

Hi Tom,
Coming from a 15 year old mattress, one would normally assume that the quality hasn’t changed much. It has.
All of the name brand mattresses have gone bad.
They've been sold to investors who now upholster the mattresses with memory foam to recoup their investment and turn a profit.
Prior to this, it was difficult to buy a bad mattress.
Today, it’s nearly impossible to buy a good one.
And frankly, Serta is among the worst of them.
Even back when mattresses were well made, Serta made a 3rd rate product.

I have a couple of options.
Since you bought your mattress at Sam’s Club, I’m guessing that you are trying to be more judicious with your money.
Option #1 fits into a budget conscious purchase.
These old fashioned two sided mattresses are among the best at a reasonable price.
There is no memory foam in them...just the same upholstery material used 15 and more years ago. 
The Brolynn Plush and the Duo Comfort models will handle you size, and maintain the natural alignment of your spine.
Spinal alignment is the key to relieving chronic back pain.
Here’s a link to those mattresses.


UPS Delivery is Free and there’s no sales tax.

These mattresses will work on an adjustable bed base.
It’s ok to crank it up to watch tv, but you must use it flat when sleeping...for the sake of your back.


And while this first option will give you a good several to 10 years, Option #2 is a mattress that will last you the rest of your life. 
It’s what we sleep on at home.
Everything about is heavy duty...from the double tempered steel coils to the natural latex upholstery.
The Natura of Canada Greenspring Ultra Plush is the most comfortable of the 4 models in this line. 
Because the quality of the components is so high, they are all firmer than they sound.
The price is quite a bit higher and they come with white glove delivery.
Here’s a link to that line of mattresses.



Either way, delivery is free and there’s no sales tax.




IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Protect and maximize your mattress investment. Use a waterproof mattress protector.



Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894 
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments