Mattress at College Causing Sciatica Pain from Herniated Disc.

Nathan writes:

Dear Pete,
I am a college student who sleeps on the dorm mattress they provide (can't really give you a brand or anything, but they are blue and pretty sturdy). 

Beneath the mattresses are flat springs laid across the metal frame. There is no bed frame, just these sheet of metal spring the mattress rests on.
I weight about 200 pounds and I'm around 6 feet tall. I suffer from a herniated disc and sciatica down my right leg. Because of that, I now mostly sleep on my back but also my side too. 

The thing is, I'm not sure if I am in a position to buy a new mattress. I would still like a recommendation. The thing I'm more concerned about is if this mattress is damaging my back. 
Would it do better to take it off the springs and lay it on the ground to sleep? Also, is there anything I can do with pillows? 
Thanks, Nathan

Hi Nathan,
I'm sorry to hear of one so young suffering from such a back problem. It's a chronic problem you will have for the rest of your life. 
How severe it becomes when you're older, will directly relate to how well you take care of it, starting now. Be sure to take a brisk walk for a half hour everyday.
The herniated discs are pinching a nerve in the small of your back, which causes the sciatica.
Those discs require firm support, while contouring of your back is needed to relieve the sciatica.
First, get a 3/4" sheet of plywood to put between your mattress and those springs. This will take care of the disc support. 
Next, add a 2" layer of soft Talalay latex to the top of your mattress, which will provide the contouring comfort you will need to relieve the sciatica and allow you to sleep deeply. 
With the proper night's sleep, you'll find your lessons easier to remember...as an added bonus.
Here is a link to the latex toppers. The EverEden and Pure Talalay Bliss work equally well. You can order on-line.
https://themattressexpert.com/mattress-toppers-latex-more/



Delivery is Free and there's NO SALES TAX

Protect your mattress from perspiration and other stains that will void the warranty of your new mattress.
Danican Waterproof Mattress Protectors Sleep Cool and Won't Shrink washed in hot water...fits up to 18"

Thanks, Pete

Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....
All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....NO SALES TAX.

Comments