Two Sided Pocketed Coil Mattress...Latex Pillow to relieve neck pain.

Trevor writes:

Hi Pete,
I am looking for a new mattress.  It will replace a  Tempurpedic king size I purchased in 2001.    Although I liked the Tempurpedic for the first several years, over the past six to nine months I have been experiencing hip and shoulder pain and my spouse has experienced hip pain from the mattress.  
About me: I am a side sleeper,  62 years old, six feet tall with a small frame and my weight has been in the range of 190-205 lbs. the past few years (I should lose 15-20 pounds.)  I have three herniated discs (L4, L5, S1) and some arthritic degeneration in the thoracic spine area.  I also tend to have very tight trapezius muscles.  I have been told I also had a fracture in my neck at some time in the past. 
I tend to feel okay in the mornings, but as the day wears on I almost always have back pain by around 4-5 PM. Sitting on any kind of soft surface brings on low back pain after several minutes.  Standing offers some relief.
My spouse is 63 years old, 5'7" tall, tends to sleep on her side, and  weighs around 140 lbs.  She has occasional  pain in the sacro-iliac joint of one hip that can be severe at times.
With the above as backgound, I would appreciate hearing your mattress recommendations.  From reading your blog, I think I've acquired the impression that an all latex bed would not be your choice for me, as they would not offer sufficient firmness.  Please let me know if that is correct.
If I need an inner spring mattress, I like the thought of getting a two sided design.
Although I would prefer to spend less than more, price is not an overriding issue.  I realize selecting the best mattress for me may be somewhat of a crap shoot.  That said, I would rather get things right the first time around.
I am also considering getting an adjustable bed base.  From what I have seen, it looks like when a person goes to a king size mattress, the only adjustable bases are split kings. Is this correct?  Also, what would I need underneath the mattress itself?
Are there adjustable bases available that just raise the back, rather than the back and leg area?  The reason I ask is that I have a so-called "Perfect Chair" zero gravity recliner I purchased several years ago from the same back pain relief store I purchased the Tempurpedic from.   Reclining in it results in excruciating pain for me.  One of my cats seems to like it though.
Thank you for your assistance.  It is very much appreciated.
Very truly yours, Trevor

Hi Trevor,
The adjustable bed base always sounds like a good idea, but has little therapeutic value.
For back pain, it's a total waste of money.
There is an adjustable bed base that simply tilts...which is excellent for relieving breathing problems without causing back pain, but that doesn't sound like it applies to you.
And yes, a king adjustable is always split.
An innerspring is what you need for support, but would recommend a Simmons Beautyrest with individually pocketed coils that move independently. It provides the upward support that your current mattress doesn't, while maintaining the natural alignment of your spine.
Memory foam, which is in your Tempurpedic is reasonably short lived...and used in most mattresses. For that reason, we suggest adding a layer of soft latex on a firmer mattress to achieve surface softness that lasts over a much longer period of time.
Our current line of two sided mattresses does not include an individually pocketed coil.
However, there is one in the works that will also be tufted for greater stability.
I'm told I'll have the pricing for that, sometime in January
It'll be a firm model that is especially designed to be used with a latex topper.
It will contain no memory foam.
We also carry a latex pillow that works wonders on severe neck pain.
It's the "Latex/Down" models shown here:
Pure LatexBLISS LatexDown Pillow
Pure LatexBLISS LatexDown Pillow




Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments