Scoliosis, a firm two-sided Cameo Mattress.

Olivia writes:

Hello Pete!
So it's 4 am and I can't sleep due to, now regular, back pain. 
I'm 5'3" 124 lbs. I have "s" curve scoliosis, I am 26 years old and feel like an old lady trying to get out of bed every morning. The pain is real, I am doing acupuncture but the relief is now so short I figured it's time to invest in a new mattress. I NEED HELP!! What do you suggest? I sleep on my side, back, and sometimes stomach but on this mattress nothing feels comfortable. 
It's pretty old, probably 10 years + a beauty rest Simmons exquisite ultimate extra firm. I just wake up in pain everyday, and recently I wake up at night and my back is killing me! I am assuming it's just gotten old and maybe is putting pressure on my spine. I think it is too soft now.
I want something of high quality, Long lasting, and a dream to sleep on.
Please!!!! Help me!!!
Olivia

Hi Olivia,
That was very helpful information.
Have you used this bed since it was new?
Has your scoliosis gotten worse over the past 10 years?
How long has the mattress been causing you pain?

First thing, flip the mattress over. The underside will be firmer.
This should allow you to sleep better right away.
There are a couple of options open to you.
Obviously, a new mattress is one.
Another would be to add a layer of firm latex to the underside of the mattress after you flip it...assuming that the underside relieves your pain. 
The latex topper added to that will improve your quality of sleep.
This is a much lower cost solution that, if successful, will put off the purchase of a new mattress for a few years.
If you had been happy with the extra firm Beautyrest for a number of years, going with another like it is a logical solution. 
If being firmer would have been better all along, there are other good choices that will last longer.
But first, flip the mattress and let me know tomorrow how that worked for you.
I'm sorry for the extra questions, but this kind of information will be important to determine your best option for a long term solution.

**************
I have used it since it was new. I haven't been checked in years to see if the scoliosis has progressed
But the last few months I have noticed that waking up has gotten more and more painful in the morning. Unfortunately, this mattress is in bad shape and the side in sleeping in now is the flipped side! Haha I will flip it again and hopefully it will hold me down until I find the perfect one. Besides the one I have, anything you suggest that will be as good or better?
Thank you!

The Beautyrest uses an individually pocketed coil system, which provides a firm, yet contouring independent suspension type of support.
This has worked well for you for a long time...and I hate to fool around with success....especially considering the sensitive natural of your scoliosis.
Going with an interlocking coil unit, which provides a more rigid, less contouring support, is one of the other option. A firm, all latex mattress is yet another option.
I'm inclined to advise you to stay with what has worked for you.
Given your size, there's no need to spend a lot. An extra firm Classic Beautyrest would be fine...probably along the lines of what you have now.
My main concern is the memory foam used in today's mattresses that would not be in yours.
Today's one-sided models, using memory foam, are designed to fail more quickly than those made 10 years ago.
My fear is that your length of years of comfort will be far shorter than you have currently experienced.
Tell me, Olivia, what happens when you lie down on the floor? Is your pain relieved?

***************

The floor actually cracks my back, and feels great!
Yes, I really want something I can keep for some time. I've read good things about the latex mattresses but I'm not familiar with them outside of that.

An all latex mattress for you, would not be my first choice.
Any and all foam mattress will have a certain amount of give to it....which I doubt will work for you, pain wise.
Based on everything we've discussed, I'm recommending a mattress that is quite firm, well made and long lasting, with no memory foam in it.
It's a two sided mattress made by Therapedic, called the Cameo firm.
Here is a link to that, showing specifications and prices.

http://themattressexpert.com/mattress-brands/therapedic-two-sided-flippable-mattresses/
Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Firm Mattress
Therapedic Keepsake Cameo Firm



Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments