Sagging Mattress causing back and neck pain.

Nancy writes:

Hello,
I just discovered your web site and am very impressed with your advice you give! I have a few questions that I hope you can help me out with. 
My husband ( 6 ft" 210 lbs) and I (5'7" 130 lbs) are looking into buying a new mattress because our current mattress is sagging and causing us both back and neck pain. I found someone on craigslist who is selling a spring free Sealy Posturpedic Rivercrest (100% latex core) for $400. They said it was used as a trade show model, and never been slept on, still in new condition.
My question is, do you think its okay to buy a used, but supposedly never slept on mattress? I believe the Rivercrest is discontinued, so I'm sure the mattress was made quite a while back. Do you know what year they were made and whether it's a good mattress? I am looking for a firm latex mattress that is supportive and won't sag. I'm also considering purchasing one of your latex toppers over it. I'm not sure if we will need soft or medium in the topper?
Please let me know if you think it's a safe bet to buy a mattress this way and whether you recommend this particular mattress or if you think it's necessary to spend more money on a brand new mattress? Is there a way for me to look on the mattress to be sure it is the mattress it says it is, and find the manufacturer date? Does the manufacturer warranty transfer or will it not be covered at all?
I would greatly appreciate your input! If I am going to purchase this mattress, I'd like to get it tomorrow before it's sold, so if you get a chance to email me tomorrow, that would be wonderful!
Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you soon! Nancy

Hello Nancy,
That River Crest is from 2008, more or less. I had one, back then. It's has a firmness designation of ultra plush. If you want a firm mattress, that wouldn't be it.
However, only one side is ultra plush. The underside is quite firm and totally usable.
The question is, "is it in new condition?". You should be able to tell that upon looking at it.
$400 for that mattress in new condition is an extraordinary find.
It is NOT 100% latex. It has a nice amount of poly foam on top. The core is 100% latex.
Perhaps the people who are selling it are not in the mattress business.
If not in this industry, you stand a better chance of them not being an habitual liar....misrepresenting their product....common practice for mattress people.
The trade show story sounds like BS, but hey, go and check it out.
If you find it not suitable for you and still want a latex mattress, we carry three of the top latex brands in the US & Canada,
Here is the link to those. Delivery is free and there's no sales tax.

Latex Mattress Brands


Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments