Stearns & Foster Mattress with Latex topper

Debbie writes:

Hi Pete,  I truly do not mean to waste your time but my fibromyalgia is flaring up terribly and I don't have the patience to keep researching the blog for answers so please forgive me.

I went to a mattress store tonight armed with notes I took from your site.  I had decided based on other people's situations and mine, that I needed the S&F Luxury Collection, Heidi, Luxury Firm with 2" Talalay Latex Topping.

When I went, the salesman wanted to know why I wouldn't get something that I didn't need to add to the mattress, to have the mattress be the mattress (and not have a latex topping).  He then had us try the Graciela Estate Cal King Luxury Plush Mattress and the Graciela Estate Cal King Plush Euro Pillowtop Mattress and the Heidi Luxury Firm Euro Pillowtop and the Heidi Luxury Plush Euro Pillowtop and the Heidi Luxury and several variations of each.  He also had us try it with a Brisa Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow.

I told him I didn't want Memory Foam or Pillow Top because it wears quickly and sleeps hot.  He denied this and said they have a 25 year warranty and it's a good product.  He also said they got rid of latex beds (?) because of complaints.  I refused a gel foam due to the 61 toxins you talked about and he said he never heard of that before.

The Shoppe is advertising on our Christian radio station the Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid an telling of it's virtues:  combines our two best sleep technologies into one great mattress. A true half foam/half springs design gives you all the cooling comfort of gel memory foam in the top half and the deep down support you've come to expect.  Maybe it was the OptiCool™ Gel Memory Foam?

At any rate, I left confused and was in so much pain that I put it off.  The salesman was not pushy and encouraged us to take our time since it's a large investment.  He said he himself took 2 weeks when he bought his. He said he would try out different beds and lay on them 10 or 15 minutes!  He is new at selling as he had been a mattress deliverer for 12 years.

I want to be smart about this and didn't know if you could help clarify some things before I go back.  Incidentally, your prices couldn't be beat so we'll be ordering from you but did want to try them out in person.

My husband is slim an a foot taller than I am.  He doesn't have any real issues when it comes to a mattress.  Unfortunately, I am short and overweight.  I have arthritis in my spinal cord and neck, DDD, fibromyalgia and sleep apnea so I'll be getting my C Pap machine (again!) soon.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
He sounds new. 
The reason for the firm mattress with the latex topper, is so you'll have the support and comfort you need over the long term. Latex performs better and lasts longer than any other type of padding. What your salesman proposed, is very short lived comfort. Once the regular padding compresses, you're back to being in pain. Just to give you an idea about what he suggested to you, the Graciela is the worst S&F model in the line. The Sealy Hybrid has plenty of memory foam....and way too much padding. 
Order what you originally intended. It will work the best for you in the long run. 






Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments