Separate mattresses for couples who can't agree

Dana writes:

Hi Pete,
I'm really hoping you can help me as my husband and I have already purchased 2 different mattresses in the last year.  The first was what I would call a normal mattress, inner spring, comfortable, around $1K and I don't remember anything else about it.  I loved it, my husband hated it.  Next, I told him to get what he wanted, so he decided on a memory foam bed.  I absolutely hate this mattress.  It feels hard to me, and I find myself constantly trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in.  I am normally a stomach sleeper, my husband is a side sleeper.  We are both tall and somewhat overweight, which I know makes this more difficult.  I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since we got this mattress and every day I'm waking up with back and/or neck pain.  Most mornings I wake up with my pillow on the floor.  I'm at the end of my rope and we've discussed just buying 2 twin mattresses and putting them together so we each can have a different mattress.  If there is anything you can recommend, I would be very grateful.
Thank you, Dana

Hi Dana,
Separate mattresses is always a possibility and a good one for many who disagree to such a great extent.
I'd be willing to bet that your husband isn't all that fond of it either. I think that he had it in his head that he wanted a memory foam mattress all along because he's heard the ads saying "It's the Best". I think he'd be hard pressed to admit a mistake where this is concerned. Talking with him about this, is your first step to avoiding separate beds.
You already know what you like, so you didn't need my advice there. I hope this helps you both.


The above question and answer appeared on our blog one year ago. A year later things have changed.
The completely customize-able latex mattress by "Reverie", is now available.












Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments