Latex topper for a 10 year old Simmons Beautyrest mattress?

Jackie writes:

Hi Pete,
I’ve been reading your blog and hope you can answer my question.
We have a 10 year old Simmons Beautyrest mattress with a pillow top. It is one of the one-sided ones that you don’t turn. I have arthritis in my joints, neck and back along with hip pain and sciatica problems. My main pain with the hip and leg starts when I lie down at night to sleep, and I have to constantly turn back and forth to ease the pain. The mattress feels hard against my hip and thigh and when I lie on my side it feels like my leg is going to sleep. I had back surgery 4 weeks ago so my leg and back are better, except at  night when I go to bed! We don’t want to get a new mattress right now as this one is still in good shape. I want to get a latex foam topper for it but don’t know whether I should get a soft or medium one. I am 66 yrs. old and weigh about 138 lbs. and my husband weighs 230 lbs. I want relief for my hip and leg but I don’t want to be rolling to the middle of the bed toward him. Any advice?
Thank you,
Jackie


Hi Jackie,
Nothing you had to say about that mattress led me to conclude that it was still in good shape.
I was surprised to read that you think so.
Your mattress has lost its shape, probably long ago. 
A latex topper will soften the surface, but not return the support that has been lost.
The discs in the small of your back have worn. The vertebrae are pinching a nerve, sending that pain around your hip and down your leg. The only way to correct your sciatica is with proper spinal alignment, which your mattress has not provided for some time...worsening your condition.
The topper, alone, will not fix what is wrong with your mattress...or help you sciatica.
Start with a luxury firm model without a pillow top and add the 2" soft Talalay Latex topper to it from the beginning.
Here are links for a good choice of mattress and to the topper.





Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Also Featuring High Quality Sheets from Dream Fit...Guaranteed to fit and Guaranteed to Stay On

Comments