Back surgery, coming off a water bed mattress.

My husband and I have been sleeping on a water bed for the past 30 plus years (not the same one, we do replace the mattress every so often) It is a high quality wave-less bed and we just love it. My husband had some back surgery and the doctor told us we need to lose the waterbed and get a good regular bed that is easier for him to get in and out of. We were told to get a good bed with adequate back support. We are both in our mid to late 50's I weigh approx 210 and the husband is around 230ish. We need something that we only have to buy once, as the sticker shock on bedding has hit us compared to what we spend for a new waterbed mattress every 8-10 years or so. Can you tell me what the best bed there is that will meet our needs so we don't have to have the problems that I see on your website with the sagging and hot sleeping etc? I like to sleep on my back and stomach, but do sleep on my side sometimes. My husband is a side sleeper, but after the surgery he will be sleeping on his back until the snoring causes me to nudge him and then he typically will turn on his side.Been to a few stores in the area and the sales people always steer us to the memory foam beds, but I am not convinced that is what we need or want. Your thoughts?

Hello, 
Unless you're planning on checking out at an early age, doing this only once is an unrealistic expectation, given the over-all quality of today's mattresses.
The strongest regular production innerspring mattresses are the Simmons Black models. My wife and I, who are each heavier than the two of you, have an older version of the Ava luxury firm...which is what I am recommending for you. The individually pocketed coils will provide contouring support, which is better and stronger than what a water bed provides, but similar, in that the support will contour to you. Having spent 30 years on that water bed, it would be a mistake to get something that is too rigid...too much different than what you've gotten your bodies used to. A harder, interlocked, coil unit would take too long for your bodies to adjust...and be a more painful process.
Using a removable latex pillowtop will aid in your hopes for greater longevity. Latex is extremely resilient and will absorb most of the impact your body weight...leaving the mattress with far less work, extending its life span by double...well worth the extra. We've used one for years.
In your case, given your husbands condition and your preferred sleeping position, I would recommend the 2" Dunlop latex topper to go with that. Here are those links.

http://themattressexpert.com/mattress-brands/simmons/beautyrest-black/
Simmons Beautyrest Black
http://themattressexpert.com/talalay-dunlop-latextoppers/


Protect your investment with high quality, Waterproof Mattress and Pillow Protectors that sleep cool and don't shrink.
Danican Waterproof Mattress and Pillow Protector
Danican Waterproof Mattress and Pillow Protector



Thanks, Pete
Phone: 1-856-874-6894
Email: themattressexpert@live.com

Factory Direct to You....All Items Made Factory Fresh to Fill Your Order
Free Delivery Nationwide....US & Canada...NO SALES TAX.

Comments